November 26, 2010
Vancouver International Airport Authority Top of FormBottom of Form
3211 Grant McConachie Way
Richmond, BC V7B 1Y7
In compliance with your request authorizing us to investigate the advisability of installing a Category IIIA electronic landing guidance and airfield lighting system on your new runway in Vancouver International Airport, we wish to submit the following preliminary report:
I. ADVISABILITY OF INSTALLING A CATEGORY IIIA ELECTRONIC LANDING GUIDANCE AND AIRFIELD LIGHTING SYSTEM
It is important to install a Category IIIA electronic landing guidance and airfield lighting system, for the following reasons:
1. There is a need of electronic landing guidance and airfield lighting system for the new runway.
2. A runway cannot be authorized to operate without such.
3. It can provide lateral and vertical guidance, as well as other navigational parameters required by a pilot in a low approach or a landing.
4. These will serve as a supplementary safety measure, especially in bad weather and for emergency landings; the ground-controlled approach (GCA) system is used.
5. These can refrain causing flight delays and cancellations, which affected the entire Canadian aviation system, due to weather conditions.
After comparing and contrasting several lighting systems lead me to conclude that the Category IIIA airfield lighting systems is the most advisable to be used on the new runway. It is used by the Lima Airport. According to them, this system includes meteorological components and lighting aids so that the planes can land even under zero visibility conditions. This could aid from shutting down the airport for landings for a reason of visibility of less than 400m(1400ft). [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). Tech Report. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tech-Report-644243.html
"Tech Report" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tech-Report-644243.html>.
"Tech Report." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tech-Report-644243.html.