105th Annual Report
The cornerstones of
Awards & Recognition
Tata Steel’s sustainability mission
“In a free enterprise, the community is not just another stakeholder, but is, in fact, the very purpose of its existence.”
It is these words of Jamsetji Tata, Founder of Tata Steel that have shaped the Company’s culture of social responsibility. At Tata Steel, the benefits of wealth creation extend beyond the business, flowing into the communities in which the Company operates. Tata Steel’s approach to business has evolved from the concept that the wealth created must be continuously returned to society.
• Tata Steel named among World’s Most Ethical
• NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2011 for
business leadership and entrepreneurial excellence,
contributing significantly towards India’s economy
Awards for excellence in social responsibility
• India’s Most Admired Company – by FORTUNE and
• CNBC Asia’s Corporate Social Responsibility Award for
outstanding CSR Model.
• Tata Steel Conferred Best Conscious Capitalist Award
by Forbes India.
• 3rd Annual Intellectual Property Awards.
• Thomson Reuters Innovation Award in the “Hi-Tech
• Tata Steel’s Mines Division, Noamundi awarded
Confederation of Indian Industry’s (CII) National
Award for Excellence in Water Management 2011 for
its “Most Innovative Rainwater Harvesting Project”.
The responsibility of combining the three elements of society – social, environmental and economic – is of utmost importance to the way of life at Tata Steel. It is the combination of these three elements that ensures that business is sustainable for all stakeholders.
• The Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government
of India, conferred the prestigious Prime Minister’s
Shram Awards for the years 2008, 2009 and 2010, on
21 employees of Tata Steel.
• CII-ITC Sustainability Prize for 2011 for Sustainable
Development for exemplary performance in
economic, social and environmental dimensions of
• ‘Best Sports Advertisement’ and ‘Best Corporate
Involvement in Sports’ awards at the grand finale of
NDTV’s ‘Marks for Sports’ campaign.
• ‘Best in Corporate Social Responsibility’ in India by Finance Asia.
• Winner in ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ at the
Procurement Leaders Forum in London.
• World Steel ‘Safety and Health Excellence Recognition
Award’ for the second consecutive year.
• NatSteel has been awarded the Work-Life Excellence
Award by the Singapore Ministry of Manpower.
• NatSteel also a recipient of the apex Platinum HEALTH
Award by the Singapore Health Promotion Board.
Cover images: (Clockwise from top left) The manufacture of a hot rolled steel coil; Employees at the Jamshedpur Steel Works, India; A view of the Scunthorpe Blast Furnace, England; A young chess buff at the Tata Steel Chess Tournament, Wijk Aan Zee, the Netherlands.
7/6/12 11:06:35 PM
The cornerstones of
At Tata Steel, we believe in sustainability that extends across the spheres of economic strategy, environmental action, social support and governance. Within each area, we are focused on creating a meaningful relationship with all our stakeholders, formulating policies and initiatives that have a positive bearing on our business.
At Tata Steel, sustainability is one of the core values of the Company, dating back to its inception. As the years have gone by, the legacy has been enhanced and is being continually and consciously improved at every stage. Sustainability at Tata Steel is synonymous with empowerment and success for everyone, within the Company and the society as a whole, as we work with our communities.
Sustainability in the Company is identified with the process...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document