Module Assignment due on March 26, 2012, REV G
Email To: Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org
• Architectural Innovation – Henderson
• Use case approach to Systems Engineering
• Design of Future Cars Architecture
• Architecture Decisions
• How companies become platform leaders
• 4+1 paper
• Incremental Commitment Model
• Friedenthal, et al., A Practical Guide to SysML
o Chapters 2, 3, 4, 5.1 - 5.6, 16, and 17
• Booch, et al., Object Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications o Read Chapters 1, 2, 3, 8, 9
Homework Question 1: Paper Review
Provide a short review of one of the technical papers that were required for the pre-reading. Your submission should be 3-5 pages, double-spaced and should first review the concepts presented in the paper, and then extend those concepts to your practice of systems engineering.
Reading Question 2 – Practicum B
Read through the Electric Transportation system description. For the electric automobile, please model the following:
• Discovered/derived requirements to the requirements diagrams • Necessary use case diagrams to identify the system active and passive stakeholders and the first 3 levels of decomposed use cases. This means the system level, subsystem level, and then one of the subsystems. • The necessary activity diagrams to capture the operations described in the Concept of Operations for the electric automobile. • System domain diagram for the electric automobile.
• Domain diagram for one of the subsystems identified
• System level logical architecture for the electric automobile. • Allocations of requirements to logical architecture
• Physical architecture for the the electric automobile. • Allocations of logical architecture to physical architecture • Parametric diagrams for those parameters found in the system specification
Create a final report using Microsoft Word, which includes model snapshots, describing the model, and the modeling decisions you made.
Homework Submission: When the entire homework assignment is complete, put the Final Report, the EA model (the .eap file) and the Paper Review into a zip file and mail it to the instructor. Each file should have the students name in the file name.
Please save the zip file using the following format:
[your last name]_SEAD6101_Norway_01_2012.zip
Electric Roadway System of Systems
The Problem – Reduce Air Pollution
Gasoline-powered vehicles account for 33% of carbon emissions in the United States, and as much as 50% of carbon emissions in some of the countries in Europe. According to the World Health Organization, 900,000 people die each year from causes directly attributable to outdoor air pollution. Global demand for oil has increased at an average of ~1%/year over the past 35 years. In 2008, global oil trade totaled nearly $3 trillion USD.
One Interesting Approach: Shai Agassi and A Better Place
Shai Agassi was formerly an executive for the software giant SAP. He has now founded A Better Place, the leading electric vehicle services provider, launched in 2007. Their primary focus is to move the world from oil-based to sustainable transportation. Agasi has proposed an infrastructure to support the electric car, consisting of charging stations along with battery switching stations.
To ensure that we can confidently drive an [Electric Vehicle] anytime, anywhere, A Better Place is developing and deploying [Electric Vehicle] driver services, systems and infrastructure. Subscribers and guests will have access to a network of charge spots, switch stations and systems which optimize the driving experience and minimize environmental impact and cost. It provides a solution to enhance economic opportunity, energy independence and a cleaner planet.
Consumers are looking for...