• Consumers across the UK now rely heavily on having a form of mobile
communication at their disposal. The market is fast becoming an essential
for the population and the chances of it changing are extremely low.
• The UK industry is one that sees the most innovative and technologically
advanced phones worldwide.
• Compared with other nations, the UK has a relatively high adoption level for
technology. Many consumers are quick to integrate new technology into
their daily lives.
• The networks in the UK are currently providing the UK with relatively
high-speed wireless Internet for mobile phones through 3G.
• Smartphones have sold extremely well in the UK and applications (‘apps’)
have created a new revenue stream for the industry.
• There is a danger that mobile phone manufacturers will see their profits
dwindle as prices for more technologically advanced handsets fall.
• The industry spends a great deal on marketing because competition is fierce.
This ultimately has a detrimental effect on the profits of the industry.
• The UK market has huge barriers to entry in terms of mobile service operators
as Ofcom has to vet and regulate any new entrants.
• The industry is constantly subject to new breakthroughs and could easily
produce new handsets that incorporate new technologies to encourage a
continuous cycle of buying from consumers.
• Technological convergence is continually increasing and some ideas and
manufacturers may come into the market from the computer industry.
• The overall usage of mobile phones is still increasing. The proportion of the
population using a mobile phone has gradually increased for many years.
• A SIM (subscriber identity module) -only option for consumers has so far
performed well and there is scope for growth in this area.
Mobile Phones Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
© Key Note Ltd 2012 43
• As... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 11). Swot Analysis for Mobile Phone Industry. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-For-Mobile-Phone-Industry-1195062.html
"Swot Analysis for Mobile Phone Industry" StudyMode.com. 11 2012. 2012. 11 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-For-Mobile-Phone-Industry-1195062.html>.
- MLA 7
"Swot Analysis for Mobile Phone Industry." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 11 2012. Web. 11 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-For-Mobile-Phone-Industry-1195062.html>.
"Swot Analysis for Mobile Phone Industry." StudyMode.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-For-Mobile-Phone-Industry-1195062.html.