1 Light Engineering- Faisalabad Pakistan
1. Demand Driven Industry (more than 4000 units for textiles alone)
2. Strong presence in local market
3. Availability of cheaper labor
4. Geographically situated at ideal location (near end users)
5. Most setups are self employed and have simpler management structure
1. Obsolete technology machinery and equipment used for manufacturing
2. Availability of raw material and inconsistent raw material prices
3. Unskilled labor (only 1% workers have certificate / diploma from technical training institutions)
4. Absence of research and development culture
5. Lack of synergies between Govt. support institutions and practical market.
6. Lack of standardization and quality control
7. Non-sophisticated marketing sense. (branding & grading)
8. Unorganized vendor base
9. Limited access to information (availability of finance, technological know how & Govt. regulations)
10. Energy costs
1. Import substitution. Pakistan imports machinery worth approximately US $ 600 million annually for textiles only.
2. Free trade agreements like SAFTA and Pakistan’s recent attempt to get included in ASEAN.
3. Lesser sophisticated African markets.
4. Research and development and reverse engineering
1. Competition from countries like India & China, which have more advanced engineering technology base.
2. Lagging in technology, hence producing substandard goods that hamper consumer perception about local engineering products.
3. Non-organized manufacturing and vendor base and unhealthy competition.
4. Uncertainty in inputs costs
5. Allowance of duty free textile machinery.
6. Increasing duties on import of machinery / tools used in manufacturing of textile machinery and parts
7. High dependence on single supplier of raw material i.e. Pakistan steel
8. Non-existence of research and development culture lily to widen technology gap more... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 09). Swot Analysis on the Apparel Industry. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-Apparel-Industry-163591.html
"Swot Analysis on the Apparel Industry" StudyMode.com. 09 2008. 09 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-Apparel-Industry-163591.html>.
"Swot Analysis on the Apparel Industry." StudyMode.com. 09, 2008. Accessed 09, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Swot-Analysis-Apparel-Industry-163591.html.