* Samsung enjoys the widest range of product portfolio which includes Mobile phone, Tablet, TV/Audio/Video, Camera, camcorder, Home appliance, pc, peripherals, printer, memory cards and other accessories * Samsung holds significant market share in most of the product categories * Samsung is NO.2 in terms of market share in mobiles, it captured Nokia’s market share by superior innovation in smart phones * Samsungs is the best in terms of design features and technology. It was the first to introduced dual screen mobiles , 65k TFT/LCD colour phone, first phone with polyphonic ringtones, phones with rotating lens, thinnest and lightest note pad etc * Samsung enjoys the first mover advantage in terms of introducing advance features in LCD, refrigerator, Air conditioner etc. It introduced the world’s smallest MP3 player and India’s first 17” TFT-LCD-TV monitor. * Samsung took advantage of the growing economy of Asian market by setting up manufacturing plant in India there by reducing logistics and supply chain costs. * Samsung brand value increased by 80% in past three years Weakness
* Samsung Mobile launched a series of Smart phones recently which led to cannibalization * The demand for LCD panels is expected to decline in the future * Still Nokia is considered to be the most preferred product in India in terms of ease of use, reliability and resale value * Chinese products focus on economies of scale and dump into Indian market for lesser cost. This results in reduction of sales * Samsung is a hardware leader but has too much of dependence for software from other parties. * Online stores which sell a wide range of products are giving better deals as they don’t incur cost in distribution channel Opportunity
* Samsung is planning to make the air-condition product category more strong with unique technology called ‘Triple protection proposition’ * Samsung is the India’s official ‘Olympic partner’ for the 2012 London Olympic and recently launched ‘Olympic Ratna Program’. This will result enhance brand awareness and increase the sales * Samsung Mobile and Home appliance has future plans of launching Customized products for Indian market. This will improve the market share in rural market * The Indian youth population is growing and mobile phone sales is expected to increase due to lesser call rates * Its financial position is strong and there is a scope of entering into unrelated diversification Threats
* Samsung has wide variety of product lines, failure of one product line will have impact on the other and will result in brand dilution * The competitors like Nokia are focused focussed only in one segment * Since India is a potential market, entry of foreign players is likely high. Foreign players like Haier have already started gaining market share in India in home appliances. * Threats from Chinese products
* Retail Chains like Bigbazaar sell consumer electronics and home appliance in low cost strategy which are procured in bulks from foreign market Strengths
• Samsung has a wide product range, which allows them to grab ample market share from various markets. This allows Samsung to not only earn a high return but it also allows them to diversify their risk and failure. • According to many magazines, Samsung holds a significant portion of the market share in nearly all its products. • Samsung is a reputed name and many people are familiar with it around the world. • Samsung has won many awards on its high quality products. • Samsung has the ability and resources to use the latest technology and offer new and exciting features frequently. • Samsung has won many awards due to its ability to make innovative, sleek and slim products • Samsung has set up many production plants in low cost locations, thus they save on cost of production significantly. • Samsung recently has attracted ample positive press, thus its reputation continues to grow...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document