1. Return to behavior that is characteristic of an earlier stage of development ______________________
2. Store of human concepts shared by all people across cultures______________________
3. Unconscious methods the ego uses to avoid things that may cause anxiety ______________________
4. Process of adapting to a new or different culture______________________
5. Channeling basic impulses into socially acceptable behavior______________________
6. Consistency between one's self-concept and one's experience______________________
7. Obvious personality trait such as friendliness______________________
8. Ideas and images of the accumulated experience of all human beings ______________________
9. Defense mechanism in which people act contrary to their genuine feelings ______________________
10. Transfer of an idea or impulse from a threatening to a less threatening object ______________________
COMPLETION Fill in the blanks with the word or words that correctly complete each statement. (May not be in list)
11. Psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud argued that ________________________ leads boys to try to become like their fathers so that they will be accepted by them and no longer fear them.
12. A(n) ____________________ person tends to be imaginative and looks inward rather than to other people for ideas and energy.
13. _______________________ is the pattern of feelings, motives, and behavior that sets people apart from one another.
14. Freud believed that people sometimes deal with unacceptable impulses by __________________ these impulses outward onto other people.
15. ________________________ is the process by which people learn to perform socially desirable behaviors.
16. A(n) ____________________ person tends to be active and self-expressive and energized by interactions with other people.
17. The single, underlying trait that gives rise to clusters of traits is known as a(n) ___________________ __________________.
18. ___________________ is a defense mechanism that uses self-deception to justify unacceptable behaviors or ideas.
19. _____________________ are aspects of personality that are considered to be reasonably stable.
20. An individual's ________________________ gives a person a sense of who she or he is as an individual.
21. Personality theorist _________________ _____________________ developed the idea of basic anxiety.
22. Freud wrote that the ___________________ "stands for reason and good sense" because it is the part of the mind guided by the reality principle.
23. A person who is in _____________________ refuses to accept the reality of a bad or upsetting situation.
24. ____________________ is a defense mechanism that pushes anxiety-causing ideas into the unconscious.
25. A person with a(n) _____________________ ____________________ is motivated by feelings of inadequacy and insecurity.
MULTIPLE CHOICE For each of the following, circle the letter of the best choice.