Psychology Chapter 14 -- Personality
Name: ____________________ In the space provided, write the name of the person or term identified by each description. Choose your answers from the list below. Some answers will not be used.
1-10=1@ 11-25=2@ 26-45=1@ 46-49=3@ 52-66=2@ 50 or 51 6pts |acculturation |reaction formation |congruence |displacement |anima-animus |Rogers | |defense mechanisms |repression |archetypes |regression |shadow self |Rogettes | |denial |socialization |collective unconscious |projection |Adler |conventional | |source trait |surface trait |sublimation |Oedipus puss |Hoyer |misplacement |
1. Return to behavior that is characteristic of an earlier stage of development ______________________
2. Store of human concepts shared by all people across cultures
3. Unconscious methods the ego uses to avoid things that may cause anxiety ______________________
4. Process of adapting to a new or different culture
5. Channeling basic impulses into socially acceptable behavior
6. Consistency between one's self-concept and one's experience
7. Obvious personality trait such as friendliness
8. Ideas and images of the accumulated experience of all human beings ______________________
9. Defense mechanism in which people act contrary to their genuine feelings ______________________
10. Transfer of an idea or impulse from a threatening to a less threatening object ______________________
COMPLETION Fill in the blanks with the word or words that correctly complete each statement. (May not be in list)
11. Psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud argued that ________________________ leads boys to try to become like their fathers so that they will be accepted by them and no longer fear them.
12. A(n) ____________________ person tends to be imaginative and looks inward rather than to other people for ideas and energy.
13. _______________________ is the pattern of feelings, motives, and behavior that sets people apart from one another.
14. Freud believed that people sometimes deal with unacceptable impulses by
__________________ these impulses outward onto other people.
15. ________________________ is the process by which people learn to perform socially desirable behaviors.
16. A(n) ____________________ person tends to be active and self-expressive and energized by interactions with other people.
17. The single, underlying trait that gives rise to clusters of traits is known as a(n) ___________________ __________________.
18. ___________________ is a defense mechanism that uses self-deception to justify unacceptable behaviors or ideas.
19. _____________________ are aspects of personality that are considered to be reasonably stable.
20. An individual's ________________________ gives a person a sense of who she or he is as an individual.
21. Personality theorist _________________ _____________________ developed the idea of basic anxiety.
22. Freud wrote that the ___________________ "stands for reason and good sense" because it is the part of the mind guided by the reality principle.
23. A person who is in _____________________ refuses to accept the reality of a bad or upsetting situation.
24. ____________________ is a defense mechanism that pushes anxiety-causing ideas into the unconscious.
25. A person with a(n) _____________________ ____________________ is motivated by feelings of inadequacy and insecurity.
MULTIPLE CHOICE For each of the following, circle the letter of the best choice.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document