NAME:MUHAMMAD HAZIQ B. NOR KURNIA SHAH
SUBJECT:HISTORY OF ARCHITECTURE (ADA 133)
HISTORY OF SULTAN ABDUL SAMAD BUILDING
After the Sultanate of Selangor became a British Protectorate, the British Administration wanted to build a government office to govern the state efficiently. At that time, the Capital of Selangor, Klang is not a strategic location for administration as it is too far from the more developed area like Kuala Lumpur. The Sultan Abdul Samad who ruled from 1857 to 1898 later consent to change the State Capital from Klang to Kuala Lumpur.
When Kuala Lumpur became the Capital of Selangor, it only consists of several streets of shop houses and several non-prominent government office buildings. Thus, the Resident of Selangor at that time, W.E Maxwell wanted the new government office to be a prominent landscape of Kuala Lumpur. The idea and architectural design has started as early in 1889, when Maxwell invited an English Architect Arthur Charles Alfred Norman as State Architect and C.E Spooner from Ceylon as State Engineer. The original plan of the building from Norman was adapting the Classical English Rennaisance concept. But, Spooner does not satisfy with the design. Later, a young architect named Bidwell has made a modification with Norman design, adapting the Mahometan style concept of Moor and Moghul design as the main architectural design of the building. The building construction was commissioned in 1894. On October 6, 1894, the ground breaking ceremony of the building was done by the Governor of Straits Settlements, Sir Charles B.H. Mitchell. The estimated cost of the construction was $152,000 and will take 2 years and 7 months to complete. After the construction fully completed on April 1897, the real expenses was $152,824. The building materials were delivered from masonry in Brickfield. The building was inaugurated by the Resident-General of the Federated Malay States, Sir...