a) Artist: Camille Pisarro
b) Title: Apple Pickers, Eragny
c) Date: 1888
d) Size: 58.4 x 72.4 cm
e) Medium: Oil on canvas
II. Formal Analysis- Elements
a) Shape: The organic (living) shapes are the four people in the foreground, the horse in the background, and the trees lining the horizon along with the tree in the middleground. The geometric shapes are the baskets and shadow in the foreground and the wagon in the background.
1. Organic: Of the four people, two are in the vertical plane and two are horizontal. The apple tree trunks are all vertical but some of the branches are horizontal. The horse is both vertical and horizontal.
2. Geometric: Two baskets are vertical rectangles and one is a horizontal oval. Two baskets are round. The wagon is a horizontal rectangle. The wheel on the wagon is round. The shadow of the tree in the foreground is a loose oval.
b) Line: There are eleven horizontal and eleven vertical lines and one curvilinear. The proportionate number of horizontal to vertical lines creates a stable effect. The figures and objects appear static.
1. The horizontal lines are: seven rows in the field, two created by the top and bottom of skirt on woman on the right, two branches from the tree in the center.
2. The vertical lines are: between the skirt and apron on the woman on the left, both sides of the tree trunk in the center, the sides of the baskets, between the skirt and apron of the woman on the right, and the two tree trunks in the middleground.
3. Most of the horizontal lines are curved but the most curvilinear line is the shadow from the tree in the foreground.
4. The diagonal lines are: the pole, the left leg of the male figure, the top portion of the tree trunk in the foreground, and the upper left arm of the woman in the center.
5. The angles are: Between the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 04). Stylistic Analysis of Pisarro's "Apple Pickers". StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Stylistic-Analysis-Of-Pisarro-s-Apple-Pickers-666955.html
"Stylistic Analysis of Pisarro's "Apple Pickers"" StudyMode.com. 04 2011. 04 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Stylistic-Analysis-Of-Pisarro-s-Apple-Pickers-666955.html>.
"Stylistic Analysis of Pisarro's "Apple Pickers"." StudyMode.com. 04, 2011. Accessed 04, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Stylistic-Analysis-Of-Pisarro-s-Apple-Pickers-666955.html.