Midterm – Stylistic Analysis and Learning Record Essay
1. Complete and include the Stylistic Analysis.
2. Complete and include all four parts (analysis, current strategies, action plan, and application) of the Learning Record Essay.
1. Copy and paste (or duplicate) a section from one of your essays. If your essay contains a lot of dialogue, that will skew your results. Instead, choose some writing (from your memoir or the cultural critique) that is primarily narrative. Mark off at least 20 sentences (or more, if you like).
a. Write down the number of words in each sentence – you can also determine the average number of words by adding the numbers together and then dividing by the number of sentences. b. Describe the approximate length of each sentence in each of the paragraphs, e.g.:
Paragraph one – Short sentence. Short sentence. Long sentence. Long sentence. Medium sentence. Short sentence. Short sentence.
Note: Any sentence containing fewer than 12 words is a short sentence, fewer than 19 words is a medium sentence, and more than 19 words is a long sentence.
4. Describe the overall structure of each sentence: e.g., simple, compound, complex, compound-complex. Oh, and I know you all remember the definitions of the sentence structures (() but I’ll provide a summary anyhow. • A simple sentence contains one independent clause and no subordinate clauses. Example: The girl chased the dog. • A compound sentence contains two or more independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction. Example: The moon loomed large in the horizon, and we wondered at its beauty. a. Independent clause: The moon loomed large in the horizon b. Coordinating conjunction: and
c. Independent clause: We wondered at its beauty
• A complex sentence contains one independent clause and one or more subordinate clauses....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document