Taiwan Ministry of Education Introduction
1. Purpose To encourage international students (excluding Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students) to undertake Mandarin language (Huayu) courses in the Republic of China (Taiwan), in order to provide them with opportunities to increase their understanding of Taiwanese culture and society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community.
2. Award Value A monthly stipend of 25,000 NTD.
3. Duration Huayu Enrichment courses will include summer classes, along with short term classes, which may last 3, 6 or 9 months to a year respectively. In principle, the duration of the scholarship is from September 1 to August 31 of the following year. If recipients fail to arrive in Taiwan for enrollment in this period, they will forfeit the right to retain the scholarship. Scholarship funding will become effective on the date of the recipient’s enrollment. Scholarship funding will end on the month of the expiration of the scholarship or if the scholarship is revoked.
4. Availabilities The Ministry of Education will provide notification of available openings for the next year to embassies, missions, representative offices and other overseas agencies authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before December 31.
5. Eligibility International applicants above the age of 18, who possess a high school diploma or higher, excellent academic performance, and are of good moral character may apply. Candidates with one of the following qualifications may not apply. a. Overseas Chinese students or a national of the R.O.C. b. Students currently registered at a Mandarin Language Center or in a degree program at any university or college in Taiwan. c. Individuals who have already received a HES or a Taiwan scholarship in the past. d. Exchange students to Taiwan during the scholarship period. e. Individuals currently receiving financial benefits from the Taiwan government or other educational institutions.
6. Application Applicants need to submit the following documents to local embassies or missions before the announced deadline (In principle, the annual application period is from February 1 through March 31. The actual application period will be determined in accordance with the general regulations of local Taiwan Representative Offices.) a. An application form (provided by local embassies or missions) b. Photocopies of his/her passport or any other documents that can verify the nationality of the applicant. c. Photocopies of the certificate of the highest academic credential and transcript. d. Photocopies of the application to the Mandarin Language Center. e. Other documents required by local embassies or missions.
7. Selection Procedure a. Selections are made in accordance with the announcement by embassies and missions. These processes may include either a document review, a personal interview or both. 2/6
b. If a successful candidate has waived his/her right to a scholarship before arriving in Taiwan, his/her position will be filled by the next eligible candidate, as determined by the local Taiwan Representative Office. All substitutions must occur by November 1.
8. Payment Procedure After completing registration procedures at a recognized Mandarin Language Center in Taiwan, scholarship recipients will receive all disbursements from their selected study center. Recipients should review the requirements for payment with their individual centers as procedures may vary; in some instances, recipients may need to open a bank account in Taiwan in order to receive funding.
9. Terms and conditions A. Recipient a. The recipient should study at a registered Mandarin Language Center approved by the MOE. b. The recipient must apply for admission according to the regulations of the center. Once admitted, the recipient should send a photocopy of the admission letter to the local embassy or...