Purpose: To inform the class of different ways to deal with and manage stress.
Thesis Statement: Stress management practices that help the mind and body handle stress.
A. Attention getter: We’ve all had days when everything seems to go wrong. You’re getting ready for work and you spill coffee on yourself. On your way to work, you get a speeding ticket. When you get to work, everyone needs your help. Your day ends at work, you finally get home to sit and relax but wait, the kids are hungry and the house is a mess. When does it end! B. Thesis statement: Stress management practices that help the mind and body handle stress. C. Credibility Statement: I have experienced many days like this. I am continuously faced with stressful situations and always trying to use stress management techniques to help me cope effectively. At the time of my divorce, I sought out professional help through my employer’s Outcomes program to deal with the situation I was in. D. Preview of Main Points:
1. First, I will define stress.
2. Second, I will discuss the causes of stress.
3. Finally, I will discuss different types of stress management techniques to help us relax.
A. Definition of stress:
1. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary online stress is a: “constraining force or influence: as a physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension and may be a factor in disease causation.” 2. A state resulting from a stress: especially: one of bodily or mental tension resulting from factors that tend to alter an existent equilibrium, such as a job-related stress. Transition- now let’s look at some things that cause stress. B. Causes of stress:
1. Stress can come from frustration, life changes, conflict, control or lack of control, and uncertainty. a. What are 2 main stressors in your lives? The examples given support the origins of...