Film report: (50 points possible)
For a list of types and titles of films to choose from, see FIND A FILM document in this module.
Answer the following questions. You can expand the response spaces as needed to answer questions neatly and completely with correct spelling and punctuation:
1. Name and year of release of the film. 4 points
The name of the film is A Street Car Named Desire released in Sep 19, 1951.
2. Director and screenwriter 4 points
The director of the film is Elia Kazan[->0] and the screenwriter of the film is Tennessee Williams[->1].
3. What was the type or genre of the film? 2 points
The film is typically categorized as a tragedy and drama.
4. What are the names of the main figures (documentary) or major characters (narrative) and who played them? 6 points Blanche DuBois was played by Vivien Leigh.
Stella Kowalski (Blanche’s younger sister) was played by Kim Hunter. Stanley Kowalski (the husband of Stella) was played by Marlon Brando. Harold “Mitch” Mitchell (Stanley’s army friend, coworker, and poker buddy) was played by Karl Malden.
5. What era or style discussed in the text is depicted in this film? 2 points This film really highlights method acting (the Stanislavsky method) and it is of the antihero era.
6. Describe the main action or ideas of the film in one paragraph. 6 points Blanche is in need of a protector at this stage in her life when circumstances lead her into paying a visit to her younger sister Stella in New Orleans. She doesn't understand how Stella, who is expecting her first child, could have picked a husband who is clearly beneath her. Stanley’s buddies come over to the house to play cards and one of them, Mitch, finds Blanche attractive. When talking to him, she does not tell the complete truth about her past and pretty much is dishonest with him but learn that she cannot escape what happened in her life before. Stanley eventually tells him about what kind of a...