* A charismatic leader.
* Motivated, loyal, and respectful followers.
* Vision: Directional, strategic vision
* Crafting strategy: moves to achieve diversification, cross – business synergies 1+1=3 * Implementing strategy:
* Evaluating strategy: Adapt to customer need changes, actively search for new opportunities, have corrective actions when not going well. Question 2: What are the elements of Dell’s strategy? Which one of five generic competitive strategies is Dell employing? How well do the different pieces of Dell’s strategy fit together? Is Dell’s strategy evolving? * The elements of Dell’s strategy:
* Cost- efficient build- to –order manufacturing( C-95) * Partnership with suppliers: partnering with reputable suppliers of PC →leadership in technology, performance, quality and cost.(C97) * Direct sales to customer (C-99)
* Award winning customer service and technical support (C-101) * Customer- Driven R&D : focus on tracking and testing new developments →most useful and cost-efficient for customers (C-103) * Using standardized technology: using industrywide standards ( C-103) * Product-line expansion: data storage hardware, switches, handheld PCs, printers, printer cartridges.( C103) From these elements, especially, “Direct sales to customer”, Dell is employing “Low-cost strategy”. Dell’s strategy is evolving. Question 3: Does Dell’s expansion into other IT products and services make good strategic sense? Why or Why not? Yes, it made good sense, because of the following reasons:
* Have opportunities to expand into industries whose...