AND PRINCIPLES OF STORES
BY – CHANDNI BHATT (283009)
ARBAAZ KHAN (283019)
INDRANEIL MUKERJEE (283035)
HARITHA SINGH (283054)
STORES LAYOUT AND PRINCIPLES OF STORES
INTRODUCTION- STORES LAYOUT AND DESIGN
It means the design of a store's interior to encourage people to enter the store and expose them to the maximum variety of merchandise within the space available. For example, some stores have the fresh fruit and vegetable display at the entrance because it is colorful and will attract people in while other stores have fresh foods and other frequently bought items which are located inside the store so people will be exposed to all the other displays when locating them.
Store layout needs to guide the customer silently about where he/she wants to go and for exposing him/her to the entire store offering. (The store itself it’s the most meaningful communication between the retailer and the customer)
The stores activity has characteristics of non value added activity. It is essential to have a better look at the design of the stores layout and facilities. Better managed stores are laid out in better style. There is no unique approach or design for a store. Stores come in all sizes, shapes and configurations depending on the need and circumstances.
There is no uniquely ideal manner to design all stores. In view of objectives, the correct proportion depends on the situation and on the experience and knowledge of the designer. It has to be kept in mind that the stores layout is not like any other office layout. Office layout can be changed on and often but changing the stores layout is costly matter. So proper thinking is required before taking actions.
CHARACTERISTICS OF STORES LAYOUT
• Location of stores difficult to change – The location of stores once taken cannot be easily changed. The reason being it is costly to change the storage location at a latter stage. Therefore, it should be decided and planned so as to ensure maximum efficiency.
• Optimal location of stores – The optimal location of stores minimizes the total transportation, handling and other costs related to stores operation and at the same time provides the needed protection for stores items. The models of facilities planning can be applied to determine the optimal location of storage in large size organizations.
• Stores location dependent on several factors – Location of stores depends upon various factors such as the nature and value of items to be stored and the frequency with which the items are received and issued to the different departments. Other important factors to be considered are the number and location of end users, variety and volume of goods to be handled, location of central receiving station and accessibility to rail or road links.
• Futuristic outlook – The location and building up of stores should be done with a futuristic outlook. The provision for the new departments and the increase in the volume to be stored, should be kept in mind.
• Stores located close to point of use – In general, the stores are located to the point of use. Raw materials stores are usually located near the first operation. In process stores are located near to subsequent operation, and finished goods stores are located near the shipping area. The tools and supplies stores are located centrally to the personnel and equipment served.
LAYOUT AND DESIGN OF STORES
The efficient layout and design of stores is very important from the point of view of its working, which is linked to the overall functioning of the plant. A good layout must be as follows –
• To achieve minimum waste of space and flexibility of arrangement.
• Supplying right material to production as and when required.
• Ensure easy movements of the...