Starting with the Basics
Log on to the student website. Explore the resources available on the site and use them to answer the following questions.
1. WHAT ARE THE SIX MATH LABS AVAILABLE FOR STUDY IN THE CENTER FOR MATHEMATICS EXCELLENCE? HINT. CLICK RUNNING START BY ALEKS AND LOOK ABOVE OTHER MATH CONTENT.
a. Self Assessment
b. ALEKS Math Refresher
c. Pre-Algebra Review
d. Algebra 1
e. Algebra 2
f. Introduction to Statistics
2. Which three reviewing services are available to students through the Center for Writing Excellence?
b. CWE Review
c. Plagiarism Checker
3. Which formatting tool does University of Phoenix offer you to create a document consistent with APA guidelines?The Riverpoint Writer
4. Which resources in the Tutorials & Guides section of the Center for Writing Excellence offer tips about how to format using APA style according to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition)? APA Format and Style Checklist
5. Use the following information to correctly build a reference consistent with APA guidelines:
• Book title: Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement • Edition: 9th
• Authors: Michelle A. Green and JoAnn C. Rowell
• City of publication: Clifton Park
• State of publication: New York
• Name of the publisher: Delmar Cengage Learning
• Year the book was published: 2008
Green, M. A., & Rowell, J. C. (2008). Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement (9th ed.). Clifton Park, New York: Delmar Cengage Learning.
6. Reference any book you have available. Use the proper APA formatting to reference your book. Examples and help can be found in the Library tab under Useful Links on the right side.
Barker, E. (2008). Neuroscience Nursing: A Spectrum of Care (3rd ed.). St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby Elsevier.
1. What are the five icon headings available in the Grammar and Writing Guides section of the Center for Writing Excellence?
a. Writing Style
b. Grammar Mechanics
c. English Language Learners
e. Grammar Glossary
2. Locate the definitions of active and passive voice using the Writing Style resources in the Grammar and Writing Guide. Identify which of the following sentences is written in the active voice and which is written in passive voice.
• a.Some of the content of this document was submitted by Mary. Passive • b.Mary submitted some of the content of this document. Active
1. Define plagiarism in your own words. Explain the difference between summarizing, paraphrasing, and plagiarizing. Use the Plagiarism resources in the Grammar and Writing Guides to assist you. How will you avoid plagiarism in your college work? Explain your answers in at least 50 words.
Plagiarism is the act of copying an author’s work, word for word, and not citing them. Paraphrasing is restating an author’s ideas in your own words. To summarize means to take the most important idea of the article. Paraphrasing and summarizing must still always credit the author. I will avoid plagiarism in my college work by always giving credit to the author and their work. I can also check my work by using the University of Phoenix reviewing service, Plagiarism Checker.
1. Using commas and semicolons, add the correct punctuation to the following sentences:
a. Karen is a knowledgeable, intelligent person.
b. Roger left the bookstore; he met the learning team at the coffee shop.
1. WHAT ARE THE THREE MAJOR ARTICLE DATABASES FOUND IN THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY?
d. Gale PowerSearch
7. Where is the University Library Handbook located, and what is its last copyright date? Located at Library Services Copyright date 2011
8. List the six mandatory fields that you need to complete when asking...