THE CULTURE OF SQUATTERS IN C.M. RECTO, AVENUE IN RELATION
TO THEIR SUCCESS/FAILURE INLIFE
A RESEARCH STUDY
DR. NATIVIDAD R. HALOG, MAED,MAN,RN
Dean Graduate School
BONIFACIO B. QUILANG
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Statement of the Problem
Significance of the Study
Definition of Terms
CULTURE OF SQUATTERS
FACTORS THAT AFFECT PEOPLE FROM SQUATTERS
The phenomenon of urban slums in Metro Manila was not widely documented until the 1960’s, when the Philippines experienced rapid urbanization and astounding influx of squatters population. Earlier in the 60’s, the squatter population started to swell along with the accelerated urbanization. Rural migrants streamed in from the largely agricultural countryside, lured by promises of jobs and wealth. They found themselves landless and eventually settled near swamp land and creeks, on idle government properties like the Tondo Foreshore Area, which are now a large squatter colony.
An estimate made in 1999, suggest theat 16 million urban dwellers are living in slums and squatters settlement in the Philippines. Manila along with the most cities in developing world has an enormous squatters population, increasing at rate of 12 percent each year.
The most populated squatter are in the northwest portion of the city
within the political jurisdiction of the Tondo District. The Foreshore area
of 137 hectares has been reclaimed from the Manila Bay in 1940’s as part
of the government plan of industrialization and port development. After
World ll, this area became the target of rural migrants all over the country
who were in need of employment and recovery from the ravages of war.
In Metro Manila, squatting eskwater in Tagalog is major issue in
Filipino society. Squatting was started in World War ll, as people built
Makeshift houses called Barong-Barong in abandoned private property
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The statements of the problem are the following questions to be answered:
1. Is there a culture of squatters in C.M recto avenue?
2. What is the relation of the said culture to the squatters’ success?failure in life?
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The research study was conducted in order for the student researcher to have in-depth knowledge of the culture of squatters in C.M recto, avenue. And in the acquisition of such know-how, a full understanding of the relation of the said culture for the squatter to attain success/failure in life.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
For clear understanding of the discussion, the following terms are defined:
1. Culture – the customs, beliefs, social forms and material traits of a racial, religious and social group
2. Industrialized – to devote to industry.
3. Migrants – persons who moves regularly in order to find work
4. Phenomenon – a rare or significant fact or event.
5. Poverty – failure to fulfil needs essential to social functioning. These needs are education, housing, nutrition and security.
6. Settlement – an institution providing various community services especially to a large city population
7. Slums – a densely populated urban that are marked by overcrowding, dirty run-down housing, poverty and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document