English 14 Prof. Mareneck
Joaquín Guzmán Loera
Thesis Statement: How Joaquín Guzmán Loera became a mythical figure in Mexico, both a narco folk hero and a villain
His beginnings/ Birth
Rise to Power/ Control of the Sinaloa Cartel
Legend of “El Chapo”
• Born on April 4, 1957, to a poor family in the rural town of La Tuna Badiraguato, his abusive father kicked him out of the house as a child. He started swelling oranges to feed himself. He's poorly educated, his formal education ended in third grade, and as an adult, he has reportedly struggled to read and write, prevailing upon a ghostwriter, at one point, to compose letters to his mistress.
• Began his career in the drug trade as an apprentice of "El Padrino" (Godfather) Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo, who once headed Mexico's most powerful drug cartel. Guzman founded his own cartel in 1980, quickly establishing posts in 17 Mexican states. Sinaloa, his organization, takes its name from a Mexican state along the Pacific coast long known as a hotbed for drug trafficking. After Gallardo's arrest in 1989, Guzman inherited some of his territory.
• Mr. Guzmán began building an empire of his own. He pioneered the use of underground tunnels across the U.S.-Mexico border to ferry drugs. One such tunnel near San Diego had electricity, air vents and rails to transport the drugs, according to the DEA.
• Established notorious groups of henchmen, known as "Los Chachos," "Los Negros," "Los Texas," and "Los Lobos," which are suspected of committing more than 1,000 murders across Mexico, including the killing of cocaine rival Rodolfo Carrillo Fuentes of the Juarez Cartel. Started a bloody drug war with other cartels to take control of their territories.
• Guzmán was captured in Guatemala on June 9, 1993, and extradited to Mexico and sentenced to 20 years and 9 months in prison for... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 03). Speech Outline. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Speech-Outline-1491447.html
"Speech Outline" StudyMode.com. 03 2013. 2013. 03 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Speech-Outline-1491447.html>.
- MLA 7
"Speech Outline." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2013. Web. 03 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Speech-Outline-1491447.html>.
"Speech Outline." StudyMode.com. 03, 2013. Accessed 03, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Speech-Outline-1491447.html.