Special Educational Needs
Student Name: Julie Collins
Student Number: GDPE226
Tutor Group: Mayo A
Tutor: Dr. Brian Mac Giolla Phadraig
Date of Submission: 28th September 2004
What are the four separate categories of Special Educational Needs and constituent sub-categories, as detailed in the S.E.R.C. report?
1. Pupils with learning difficulties and disorders
· Pupils in need of Remedial Teaching (Learning Support)
· Pupils with Specific Learning Disabilities
· Pupils with Specific Speech and Language disorders
2. Pupils with Physical and Sensory Disabilities
· Pupils with Physical Handicap
· Pupils with Hearing Impairment
· Pupils with Visual Impairment
3. Pupils with Mental Handicap and with Emotional and Behavioural Disorders
· Pupils with Mild Mental Handicap
· Pupils with Moderate Mental Handicap
· Pupils with Severe / Profound Mental Handicap
· Pupils with Emotional and or Behavioural Disorders
· Pupils with Childhood Autism
4. Pupils with Other Special Needs
· Pupils who are Educationally and Socially Disadvantaged
· Children of the Travelling Community
· Pupils who are Exceptionally Able or Talented
What are the seven principles of Special Education as detailed in the S.E.R.C. Report?
· All children, including those with special educational needs have a right to an appropriate education.
· The needs of the individual child should be the paramount consideration when decisions are being made concerning the provision of special education for that child.
· The parents of a child with special education needs are entitled and should be enabled to play an active part in the decision-making process: their wishes should be taken into consideration when recommendations on special educational provision are being made.
· A continuum of services should be provided for children with special educational needs ranging from full-time education in ordinary... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2005, 05). Special Needs. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2005, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Special-Needs-56419.html
"Special Needs" StudyMode.com. 05 2005. 2005. 05 2005 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Special-Needs-56419.html>.
- MLA 7
"Special Needs." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 05 2005. Web. 05 2005. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Special-Needs-56419.html>.
"Special Needs." StudyMode.com. 05, 2005. Accessed 05, 2005. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Special-Needs-56419.html.