* How is ancient Roman civilization represented in the series as a whole, or inside a particular episode?
* Which significant visual elements are employed to that end?
* Which relevant historical references are interspersed in the series?
* What is the general characterization of ancient society under the Roman rule, in it?
* Which values, behaviors or words make up some of the characters' identity as ancient Romans?
* How are the themes of power and decadence represented and emphasized in the series?
* Is there any reference in the movie to historical, cultural or anthropological connections between ancient Romans and modern-day Italians?
* How was the series received by the viewers?
* Is there any evidence, in their comments or reactions, of the way the series influenced their view of Roman civilization?
Ancient Roman civilization is often used and adapted in theater arts and various other artistic mediums to portray a story or convey a message. In these instances the audiences are looking at a representation of the ancient Roman civilization and can often assume or question whether or not this is the way society was in the past because after all, seeing is believing. The Starz original series Spartacus: Blood and Sand is a historical drama based on the life of famous Thracian slave turned gladiator Spartacus (Played by Andy Whitfeild ) who led a slave rebellion(Third servile war or slave war) against the Roman Republic from 73 B.C. to 71 B.C. which is said to inspire various revolutionaries such as The Spartacus League which was a left winged Marxist revolutionary movement created during the first world war in Germany. In this essay I will discuss the way Spartacus: Blood and Sand represented ancient Roman society as a whole.
Ancient Roman civilization is portrayed in the Starz original series Spartacus Blood and Sand as a whole as a sort of civilization with a culture very representation,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 05). Spartacus: Blood and Sand. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Spartacus-Blood-And-Sand-1663165.html
"Spartacus: Blood and Sand" StudyMode.com. 05 2013. 2013. 05 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Spartacus-Blood-And-Sand-1663165.html>.
- MLA 7
"Spartacus: Blood and Sand." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 05 2013. Web. 05 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Spartacus-Blood-And-Sand-1663165.html>.
"Spartacus: Blood and Sand." StudyMode.com. 05, 2013. Accessed 05, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Spartacus-Blood-And-Sand-1663165.html.