South Africa Inter-Cultural Management

Topics: South Africa, Africa, Geert Hofstede Pages: 12 (3025 words) Published: January 2, 2013
South Africa Project

In this project we have been asked to look into South Africa and analyse how this country has came to its current position. In order to do this we will look at the history of the country and compare it to the current situation. We will analyse the country using 6 specific parameters. These are: • Economical Philosophy 

• Social Structure
• Language 

• Political Philosophy
• Religion

• Education

Part 1: Language (s) of South Africa and Social Structure

South Africans have been referred to as the 'rainbow nation', a title that epitomizes the country's cultural diversity. The population of South Africa is one of the most complex and diverse in the world. Of the 45 million South Africans, nearly 31 million are Black, 5 million White, 3 million Mixed race and one million Indian.

The Black population is divided into four major ethnic groups, namely Nguni, Sotho, Shangaan-Tsonga and Venda. There are numerous subgroups of which the Zulu and Xhosa (two subgroups of the Nguni) are the largest. The majority of the White population is of Afrikaans descent (60%), with many of the remaining 40% being of British descent. Most of the Mixed race populations live in the Northern and Western Cape provinces, whilst most of the Indian population lives in KwaZulu Natal. The Afrikaner population is concentrated in the Gauteng and Free State provinces and the English population in the Western and Eastern Cape and KwaZulu Natal.

South Africa is one of the most diverse and multilingual countries in the world only behind to Bolivia and India. South Africa has eleven official languages in South Africa, namely English, Afrikaans, Ndebele, Sepedi, Xhosa, Venda, Tswana, Southern Sotho, Zulu, Swazi and Tsonga. White all of these languages are relatively equal, some are spoken more that others. The Three main languages spoken in South Africa are, Zulu, Xhosa and Afrikaans. English is a recognised language, however is spoken less that the other main languages.


Even with these many recognised languages there are also some unofficial languages, which can be recognised via dialects, which originate from neighbouring countries such as Namibia and Botswana. Many white South Africans can also speak other European languages such as Portuguese and German, while Asians in South Africa can speak Hindi, Gujarati Urdu and Telugu.

With all these different languages spoken in South Africa it is safe to say that this is a multilingual country with diverse culture where people can share and learn from each other’s cultures.

Part 2: Political Philosophy of South Africa

The African National Congress is the majority party, with 264 of the 400 National Assembly seats. The party also controls 8 of the country's 9 provinces. The ANC also controls 5/6 metropolitan municipalities

South Africa's Parliament is made up of two houses: the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces. The National Assembly is the more influential, passing legislation and overseeing executive performance. Its members are elected for a term of five years.

All South African citizens over the age of 18 are eligible to vote, if they register to do so. South Africa has had fully inclusive democratic elections in 1994, 1999, 2004 and 2009. Before 1994, only white South Africans were allowed to vote for the national government.

South Africa's health system consists of a large public sector and a smaller but fast-growing private sector. Health care varies from the most basic primary health care, offered free by the state, to highly specialised hi-tech health services available in the private sector for those who can afford it.

While South Africa works to find ways of achieving job-creating economic growth, the country continues to spend on cushioning the poor and unemployed, with social assistance spending projected to rise from...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on Inter Cultural Management
  • Mahindra & Mahindra in South Africa Essay
  • prejudice in South Africa Essay
  • Essay about The Chinese Cultural System: Cultural Management.
  • Cross cultural management Essay
  • language planning in south africa Essay
  • South Africa Essay
  • Essay on South Africa

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free