University of Phoenix Faculty Material
Week 2 Quiz
1. Schaefer (2015) defines _______________ as “the ways in which people respond to one another” and ___________________ as “the way in which a society is organized into predictable relationships.” a. Social interaction; social structure
b. Social interaction; social change
c. Organization; bureaucracy
d. Politics; economics
2. Which of the following is not an element of social structure? a. Language
b. Statuses and roles
c. Social networks
3. According to the functionalist perspective, __________________ fulfill the following functions that a society must accomplish to survive: replace personnel, teach new recruits, produce and distribute goods and services, preserve order, and provide and maintain a sense of purpose. a. Social networks
b. Social conflicts
c. Social institutions
d. Social researchers
4. According to the conflict perspective, the mass media is filtered through a small group of people who control it. This concept is known as: a. Hyperconsumerism
c. Social networking
5. Interactionists often discuss the mass media, particularly the Internet, in terms of _______________, “the collective benefits of social networks, which build on reciprocal trust” (Schaefer 2015). a. Social capital
c. Primary groups
d. None of the above.
6. Which of these statements does not apply to the concept of deviance? a. Deviance is behavior that violates a social norm.
b. Based on the definition of deviance, we are all deviant at one point or another. c. Deviance is always negative and/or criminal.
d. Deviance is often complex.
7. The way a society and the institutions within it try to prevent deviance is referred to as: a. Social structure
b. Social capital
c. Social control
8. The theoretical perspective that views deviance as “a common part of human existence, with positive as well as negative...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document