Chapter 1 Test
*Sociology: the science that deals with the study of human relationships. -Sociology is a science.
*It is harder to study man
(Man is constantly changing; natural is definitive)
1. August Comte: French Philosopher; father of sociology.
2. Lester Ward: Father of American Sociology.
-Demography: where you live; what type of people live there; study of population -Rural and Urban: compare people in diverse areas
-Gerontology: study of elderly people
*What Sociologists look for:
-Causes: why do we hang around our friends?
-Consequences: consequences of the group; result
-Changes: changes in groups? Good or bad?
-Structure: How everyone fits; what role in the group?
-Function: The purpose of the group
-Patterns of Behavior: Things that happen all the time
*The Scientific Method
3. Research Design
4. Collect Data
5. Analyze Data
a. Contrived: set up scenario see reactions (Wet Paint)
b. Participant: you become part of the group that is being observed.
c. Natural: spy; don’t know people are watching you; trying to get info.
2. Historical Analysis: Look at items from the past to learn about the past. (Inca Death Cult)
3. Content Analysis: Looking for how many times something occurs. (Mentioned or seen) (South Park)
4. Case Study: In-depth study of a person or group of people.
5. Statistical Analysis: Look for mathematical links between things (Cigarettes Lung Cancer)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document