Analysis of a social institution or societal segment as a self-contained entity or in relation to society as a whole.
2. Thomas theorem: If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences(In other words, the interpretation of a situation causes the action. This interpretation is not objective. Actions are affected by subjective perceptions of situations. Whether there even is an objectively correct interpretation is not important for the purposes of helping guide individuals' behavior.)
3. natural science : A branch of science that deals with the physical world, e.g., physics, chemistry, geology, and biology. The branch of knowledge that deals with the study of the physical world.
4. industrial revolution：The rapid development of industry in Britain in the late 18th and 19th centuries, brought about by the introduction of machinery.
5. Law of three stages: s an idea developed by Auguste Comte. It states that society as a whole, and each particular science, develops through three mentally conceived stages: (1) the theological stage, (2) the metaphysical stage, and (3) the positive stage.
6. Mechanical Solidarity and Organic Solidarity refer to the concepts of solidarity as developed by Émile Durkheim. They are used in the context of differentiating between mechanical and organic societies. In a society exhibiting mechanical solidarity, its cohesion and integration comes from the homogeneity of individuals—people feel connected through similar work, educational and religious training, and lifestyle. Mechanical solidarity normally operates in "traditional" and small scale societies. In simpler societies (e.g., tribal), solidarity is usually based on kinship ties of familial networks. Organic solidarity comes from the interdependence that arises from specialization of work and the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Sociology. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Sociology-1396920.html
"Sociology" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Sociology-1396920.html>.
- MLA 7
"Sociology." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Sociology-1396920.html>.
"Sociology." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Sociology-1396920.html.