FACULTY: BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT STUDIES
DEPARTMENT: BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
COURSE CODE: DPBA 018
COURSE TITLE: INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS
To equip students with statistical skills (Techniques) that will enable them solve problems arising from day to day business operations and also make sound managerial decisions. Objectives
By the end of the course the student should be able to:
1. Perform basic statistical calculations
2. Identify business problems that are amenable to statistical techniques and suggest the appropriate models that can be used to solve the problems. 3. Apply statistical concepts to solve problems in life.
1. Introduction: meaning and scope;Definitions,Importance and scope of statistics, Limitations of statistics, Methods of data collection 2. Classification and tabulation of data; Organization of data, Data classification: frequency distribution and cumulative frequency distribution. 3. Methods of data presentation
a. Diagrammatic presentation; Line and bar graphs, Simple and multiple pie charts, Pictograms b. Graphical presentation; Histogram, Frequency polygon, Frequency curves,’ cumulative frequency curves[ogive]. 4. Averages (measures of central tendency);Arithmetic mean,Median,Mode 5. Dispersion – measures of variablility;Range,Quartile deviation or interquartile range, Mean deviation, Standard deviation,Variance,Coefficient of variation 6. Skewness, moments and kurtosis
7. Correlation and regression
a. Correlation ;Karl Pearson’s coefficient of correlation, Rank correlation, Coefficient of determination b. Linear regression; Scatter diagram, Regression equation 8. Index numbers
9. Times series – moving averages
Evaluation CAT 30%
1. GUPTA S.C, Fundamentals of statistics, 6th edition, 2007, Himalaya publishers. 2. Murray and Spiegel, Schaums outline series of...