Social norms are :
* The accepted behaviors within a society or group.
* The rules or behavior that is accepted by a group of people, in terms of beliefs, attitudes, and values. * It is also described as ‘customary rules of behavior that coordinate our interactions with others’.
Social Norms and Customs of The United Kingdom
* The United Kingdom is made up of 4 countries :
* Northern Ireland
* Residents of any of those countries may be called :
* Northern Irish
* The characteristics of residents of the 4 countries :
Polite, reserved and restraint.
* Proud of their long and rich history.
* Passionate about their country’s uniqueness.
* Refuse to go along with English ideas.
* Extremely sentimental about their family and country. * Free of class consciousness and social elitism, except in religion. * Subtle sense of humor.
* Values generosity.
* Part of the UK or more than 400 years.
* Kept its own language, literature and traditions
* Takes pride in their country’s heritage.
* Loves to sing and talk.
* Priority goes to their families.
* Northern Irish
* Values friendliness, sincerity and nature.
* Dislikes pretentious behavior
* Possess a strong work ethic.
* Family ties are important
Meeting and Greeting
* British are reserved.
* May appear cool, indifferent or overly formal.
* Shake hands with everyone present.
* Shake hands again when leaving.
* Handshakes are light and not firm
* Women should extend their hand to men first.
* Address someone by their last names and appropriate titles. * Call them by their first names if invited.
* British are not black-slappers or touchy.
* Do not display affection in public.
* Intimate actions are reserved for family members and very close friends. * Needs a reasonable amount of personal space.
* Staring is considered rude.
* Punctuality is important for business meetings.
* Formal approval of the Board of Directors is essential. * Decisions may be slow in the making.
* Expects formalities and protocols to be followed.
* Meetings should be scheduled well in advance.
* Presentations should be detailed and subdued.
Dining and Entertainment
* Summon a waiter by raising your hand.
* The host, the one who extends the invitation, pays the bill. * Do not discuss business at dinner in someone’s house unless invited by the host. * When invited to someone’s home, arrive on time or at least 10 minutes after the stated time. * Wait for the host to begin eating before you eat.
* Keep your hands on the table at all times during the meal. * Keep your elbows off the table at all times during the meal. * After the meal, place knife and fork side by side on the plate. * Leave the dinner party shortly after the dinner ends.
* Write a thank you note to the host.
* It is impolite to ask for a tour in your host’s home.
Social Norms and Customs of Malaysia
* Multicultural Nation.
* Important festivals of each ethnic group are public holidays. * Few marry outside their own ethnicity. – all part of retaining their individual traditions and lifestyles. * Family is the centre of the social structure.
* Great emphasis on unity, loyalty and respect for the elderly. * The concept of face
* All ethic groups strive to maintain face – avoid shame both in public and private. * Face is a personal concept that embraces good...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document