Questions and Elements to Consider in One Flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest:
1) What is the meaning/effect of Chief´s dance in the beginning of the play? 2) Why does Nurse Ratched (NR) use a cage? And a microphone? 3) Why has the author chosen to call her ”Ratched”? Look up ”ratchet”… 4) The dancing sequences; what do they symbolize?
5) What do you think of the group meetings? Do they help the patients? What means do NR use to control the patients? 6) What do the patients mean when they say they are like rabbits? 7) What is the meaning of the baseball game? Why does NR get so upset? 8) Why do some of the patients choose to be there voluntarily? 9) What does it mean to be ”big” according to Chief?
10) Chief mentions the ”combine”. What is this?
11) What has happend to Chief and his people prior to his arrival? 12) What is the symbolism in the song: ”The 3 Geese: One Flew East, One Flew West, One Flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest” 13) What is NR´s reaction to Chief´s ability to speak? What do you think of it? 14) Why do you think NR is imaged as the power source during McMurphy´s shock treatment? 15) In what way does Billy change after his night with McMurphy´s girl friend? Also consider his language ability? 16) What are the consequences of NR´s reaction to Billy´s little adventure? And what means does she use? 17) Why does McMurphy lose his temper and attack NR?
18) What happens to Harding´s plan of leaving do you think? 19) Why does NR place McMurphy among his friends after his lobotomy? 20) Why does Chief kill McMurphy? Does this help to make him ”big”? 21) In the last scene they repeat the song of the cuckoo´s nest. Why? Who does it relate to? 22) If we view the play as a piece of social realism is it then possible to say that it can be read as a critique of the US society? And if so, in what way?
Please join StudyMode to read the full document