Exam 1 Review: Chapters 1 & 2
1. Which early sociologist coined the term sociology in 1838? 2. Sociology’s social conflict approach draws attention to what? 3. Empirical evidence refers to what?
4. The critical sociology is linked to which of the following theoretical approaches? 5. Ideas created by members of a society are part of what? 6. Sociologists define a symbol as what?
7. Define ethnocentrism?
8. Define cultural relativism?
9. Which theoretical approach focuses on the link between culture and social inequality? 10. George H. Mead described the “self” as what?
Erving Goffman’s theory of Dramaturgy offers presentation of self to describe an actor’s what?
11. The Thomas theorem states what?
12. Karl Marx said that “Men make their own history” but only “under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past.” How is this similar to the definition of sociology given by Howard Becker?
13. Unlike earlier religious traditions, which attempted to determine the ultimate cause or source of reality, Auguste Comte developed positivism in order to what?
14. Who coined the phrase “the survival of the fittest”?
15. Soon after college, Michael Jordan was made enormously wealthy by Nike and the Chicago Bulls. He has since purchased his own NBA team. Michael Jordan controls what Karl Marx called what?
16. Although she made contributions to sociology, Jane Addams is perhaps best remembered for her embrace of praxis, meaning that she what?
17. According to Robert Merton, what is the difference between manifest and latent functions?
18. What is the link between feminist theory and conflict theory?
19. A sociologist wants to study popular attitudes and perceptions about astrology among college students in California. She believes that people who have astrological signs identified with fire will have a greater knowledge of astrology because...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document