The utilization of autonomous intelligent roots in search and rescue (SAR) is a new and challenging field of Robotics dealing with the task in extremely hazardous and complex disaster environments. Autonomy, high mobility, robustness and modularity is critical design issues of rescue robotics requiring dexterous devices equipped with the ability to learn from prior experience, adaptable to variable types of usage with a wide enough functionality under different sensing modules and compliant to environmental and victim conditions. Intelligent, biologically inspired mobile robots and in particular serpentine mechanisms have turned out to Widely used robot effective, immediate and reliable responses to many SAR operations. This article puts a special emphasis on the challenges serpentine search robot hardware, Sensor-based path planning and control design.
The utilization of autonomous intelligent robots in the search and rescue (SAR) is a new and challenging field of robotics, dealing with tasks in extremely hazardous and complex disaster environments. High mobility, robustness etc are design issues of rescue robots equipped with various devices such as devices having ability to learn from previous rescue, devices adaptable to variable types of working conditions. Looking to the future, intelligent biologically inspired mobile robots, i.e. serpentine mechanisms are widely used robots in the field of SAR operations.
Recent natural disasters and man-made catastrophes have focused attention on the area of emergency management arid rescue. These experiences have shown that most government’s preparedness and emergency responses are generally inadequate in dealing with disasters. Considering the large number of people who have died due to reactive, spontaneous, and unprofessional rescue efforts resulting from a lack of adequate equipment or lack of immediate response, researchers have naturally been developing mechatronic rescue tools and strategic planning techniques for planned rescue operations. Research and development activities have resulted in the emergence of the field of rescue robotics, which can be defined as the utilization of robotics technology for human assistance. This article puts a special emphasis on the challenges of serpentine search robot hardware, sensor based path planning and control design.
• Recent natural disasters and man-made catastrophes have focused attention on the area of emergency management and rescue. These experiences have shown that most government’s emergency responses are generally inadequate in dealing with disasters. • Considering the large number of people died due to reactive, spontaneous and unprofessional rescue efforts research have naturally been developing mechatronic tools and planning techniques for research operation. • This factor lead to the development of rescue robots for human assistances in any phase of rescue operations which may vary from country to country(different type of disaster, different regional policies). • The main aspects of rescue robots are detection and identification of living bodies with the help of most modern mechatronic tools.
FUNCTIONS OF RESCUE ROBOTS
1. Detection and identification of livings bodies using modern tools. Sensors are used to detect the bodies. 2. Clearing of debris in accessing the victim.
3. Physical, emotional and medical stabilization of the survivor by bringing to him or her automatically administered first aid. 4. Fortification of the living body for preventing further damage. 5. Transportation of the victim with necessary first aid.
A BRIDGE MODE SNAKE ROBOT
MAJOR RESCUE PROBLEMS
• Nondexterous tools are generally cumbersome and destructive . So the operation of tool is very complicated and requires great attention.
• Debris-clearing machines are heavy...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document