Save Smog City 2 from Particle Pollution
1. Access the Smog City 2 web site at www.smogcity2.org.
2. Select “Save Smog City 2 from Particle Pollution.”
3. Once Smog City 2 loads to your computer, take note of the areas of Smog City, including Weather Conditions, Emissions Levels and Population. All areas have “clickable” choices. Mouse-over or click on the choices.
• NOTE: in the information box at the bottom of the screen, there is information about each choice.
4. Notice how each of the choices are pre-set to a certain level. These are called the default settings. You can use the reset button at any time to return to the default settings. In the chart below, circle or highlight the default setting for each choice. The first setting, Sunlight, has already been completed for you.
Weather ConditionsChoices Included in the Area:
Maximum Daily Temperature:
Clear -Partly Cloudy - Cloudy
No inversion - Low inversion - High inversion
Calm - Light Breeze - Breezy - Windy
30ºF - 40 ºF - 50ºF - 80ºF - 90ºF - 100 ºF - 110 ºF
EmissionChoices Included in the Area:
Energy Sources –
Cars and Trucks –
Off Road Vehicles –
Some energy sources produce more smog-producing emissions than others.(level 1 is cleaner sources like a wind or solar technology, level 3 produces more smog like a coal-fired power plant) Levels: 1 2 3
This includes Passenger vehicles (all sizes), large and medium trucks, motorcycles Levels: 1 2 3 4 5
This includes airplanes, trains, power boats, earth movers, tractors, harvesters, forklifts, bulldozers, backhoes Levels: 1 2 3 4 5
This includes paint thinner, charcoal lighter fluid, glue or other adhesives, gasoline Levels: 1 2 3 4 5
This includes manufacturing facilities, power plants, oil refineries/storage/distribution centers, food and agricultural processing Levels: 1 2 3 4 5
Area Name:Choices Included in the Area:
Population – Population in Smog City 2 affects air quality. Changing population, as shown by the “total emissions” chart and the emission sources in the cityscape, affects VOCs, NOx and SO2. The compounds react to form ground-level ozone and particle pollution. When temperatures are cool, changing population also changes the usage of wood-burning stoves, which emit particle pollutionIn Smog City 2, you can increase the population from near-zero to about two million people.
Levels: 1 2 3 4 5
5. Observe the AQI (Air Quality Index) box inside the black box. The default settings, which are circled above, result in a “red”, or “Unhealthy” AQI for particle pollution. The health message is: “Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion.”
Scenario 1: Emission Sources
1. Minimize the “Save Smog City 2 from Particle Pollution!” instructions at the top of the screen.
2. Turn only Cars and Trucks control to 1. Leave all other choices at the default settings. Record what happens on the Student Worksheet in the table below. Uses the reset button to return the Cars and Trucks control to 3, so all controls are in default position.
3. Turn only Off Road down to 1. Leave all other settings alone. Record what happens on the Student Worksheet. Use the reset button to return the Off Road control to the middle setting, so all controls are in default position.
Energy SourcesCars &TrucksOff RoadConsumer ProductsIndustryAir Quality Index (AQI)
4. Using the worksheet below, adjust each of the remaining controls noted in red and record the result in the worksheet.
Energy SourcesCars &TrucksOff RoadConsumer...