* The current location of the presently known Quezon Memorial Circle was originally planned to have been an area in Quezon City, where the National Capitol was supposed to be built. * In 1940 when the cornerstone for the structure was laid, the foundation was the only part of the structure positioned because the construction was disrupted by the start of the Second World War in the Philippines. * Right after World War II, an executive order about the agreement of the creation of a Quezon Memorial Committee was made and announced by President Sergio Osmeña. His purpose was to raise funds through the use of public subscription in order to elevate a monument for his predecessor, President Manuel Luis Quezon. From all the designs submitted, the one created by Federico Ilustre was chosen (“Quezon Memorial,” n.d.).
* The monument would consist of three vertical pylons (representing the three main geographic divisions of the country: Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao * 66 meters (217 ft) tall (Quezon's age when he died)
* surmounted by three mourning angels holding sampaguita (the national flower) wreaths sculpted by the Italian sculptor Monti * The three pylons would in turn circumscribe a drum-like two-story structure containing a gallery from which visitors could look down at Quezon's catafalque, modeled after Napoleon Bonaparte's in the Invalides. The gallery and the catafalque below are lit by an oculus, in turn reminiscent of Grant's Tomb.
ELEMENTS ON SITE PLANNING
* The Quezon Memorial Circle is a national park and shrine located in Quezon City, former capital of the Philippines(1948–1976) * The park is an ellipse bounded by the Elliptical Road. Its main feature is a mausoleum containing the remains of Manuel L. Quezon, the second President of the Philippines, and his wife, First Lady Aurora Quezon.
EXISTING STRUCTURES and FACILITIES:
* central plaza and the promenades are where the old structures used to be the old rusting fountain with dancing waters and light bands that turned into a center of attraction * the Circle of Joy (amusement park)
* sports facilities
* Quezon Memorial
* The Quezon City government also built two underground pedestrian passageways from PHILCOA and Quezon City Hall, for greater public accessibility. * two smaller museums were built: one containing the presidential memorabilia of Quezon, and the other containing items on the history of Quezon City, were installed within the monument itself.
HUMAN and CULTURE:
* Quezon Memorial Circle (QMC) is visited by an average 8,000 people daily and 12,000 on weekends. * In fact, it is a most favored park to visit during these special occasions as it offers a lot of things for each member of the family.
* Distinct dry season from December to April and wet season from May to November. Normal annual rainfall total is 2,431.9mm, with the maximum mean monthly total rains being experienced in August with 517.11 mm and the minimum in February with 7.4 mm.
* The entranceways, from Commonwealth and Quezon Avenues, are now more open and welcoming of the public with no more disorganized clumps of trees and makeshift barriers. * a newly created two underpasses in the East and South make visitors easily reach inside the park.
NATURAL PHYSICAL FEATURES:
SLOPE AND TOPOGRAPHY:
* largely rolling with alternating ridges and lowlands. * Steep portions are evident in the eastern part of the city which run parallel to the Marikina River and the Valley Fault Zone. * The City’s slope is generally manageable ranging from less than 8% to 15%. SOIL CONDITION:
* A survey of the Bureau of Soils showed that the predominant soil type in Quezon City is commonly called adobe and mainly characterized as hard and compact.
* Quezon City Hall