Sicily Garments

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 236
  • Published : October 12, 2012
Open Document
Text Preview
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Sicily Garments Ltd was started by Mr. S. M. Morshed in Mothertek, Dhaka. Mr. Morshed dreamed about having his own company from the late 80s and finally was successful in the 1995. Initially the factory only had 3 lines and the work was divided among departments like administrative (mainly controlled by the managing director himself), cutting, pattern and sampling and finally sewing. Sicily Garments mainly concentrated on making Woven wears. Woven wears brings the industry the most export earnings and therefore the competition in this sector is more than the others. The company produces jackets, jogging suits, woven pants, etc in various colors, sizes and patterns as market demand. Even though the company started with only 375 employees, by 2002 the company was operating with 550 employees working on 315 machineries and again in just two years the company expanded for the second time operating with 750 employees with 450 machineries. Eighty to ninety percentages of the company’s employees are women and there is no presence of child labor. The safety measures taken by the company are high as it is required for a good name in the international market. No training is provided to employees because the turnover rate is very high. Sicily Garments Ltd is an export-oriented company and has a turnover of about $ 3 million per year. Currently Bangladesh's RMG sector employs about 1.8 million workers in 3600 factories, which is about one-fourth of the number of employees engaged in the manufacturing sector. About 80 per cent of the workers in the RMG factories are women. The employment of women in this sector has created empowerment amongst women of the lower segment of society. It is a big social contribution of RMG sector of Bangladesh because 50 percent of our population, the women, been neglected in other industries.

BACKGROUND

SICILY GARMENTS LTD

Sicily Garments Ltd was started by Mr. S. M. Morshed in Mothertek, Dhaka. Mr. Morshed dreamed about having his own company from the late 80s and finally was successful in the 1995. Initially he started the company as the managing director with only 375 employees and an investment of BDT 1.5 crore taka. He chose the location very wisely looking and taking advantage of both the source of the raw materials and the market. The factory building was taken by lease for eight years. Mr. Morshed founder and managing director of Sicily Garments Ltd is a self made and dedicated man. He finished his B. Com and M. Com by 1975 and finished his LLB by 1977. Before getting into the garments sector he worked in Sheraton International Hotel for ten long years and served the hotel as a director of personnel and human resource department. It is for his dedication and hard work Sicily Garment is where it is today. Initially the factory only had 3 lines and the work was divided among departments like administrative (mainly controlled by the managing director himself), cutting, pattern and sampling and finally sewing. The production activities are looked after by the general manager, who is appointed and paid by the company. Mr. Morshed own 60% of the shares and the other 40% is shared between Mrs. Rabeya Begum and Ms. Sharmin Morshed, who assists the operational and administrative activities of the company. Sicily Garments mainly concentrated on making Woven wears. Woven wears brings the industry the most export earnings and therefore the competition in this sector is more than the others. The company produces jackets, jogging suits, woven pants, etc in various colors, sizes and patterns as market demand. Even though the company started with only 375 employees, by 2002 the company was operating with 550 employees working on 315 machineries and again in just two years the company expanded for the second time operating with 750 employees with 450 machineries. Eighty to ninety percentages of the company’s employees are women and there is no presence of child labor. The safety...
tracking img