First of all, an overview of what prenatal diagnosis is is needed. Prenatal diagnosis is a way of checking how the fetus is doing and if it has any problems. These methods test for diseases or other conditions such as gender. The main reason of its usage is because of birth defects and genetic diseases that might be very hard or impossible to cure and might even leave the newborn in a very difficult position for the rest of its life.
There two types of testing that can be done on a fetus:
1. Invasive methods: These methods are called invasive because needles or probes are entered in the placenta.
Some of the most known invasive methods are:
• Chorionic villus sampling: which is about getting a sample from the chorionic villus, testing and determining based on the results the well being of the fetus. Since this is an invasive method it has a high risk of miscarriage and one of the highest compared to other invasive prenatal testing methods.
• Amniocentesis: The amnion is the membrane that surrounds and protects the baby. Liquid starts to fill the amnion gradually as the pregnancy continues. When there is enough fluid a sample is taken and tested (since in this liquid there will also be some baby cells)
• Fetoscopy: After a small cut is made in the abdomen then a probe is entered all the way down to amniotic cavity.
2. Non-invasive methods: These methods are less risky compared to the invasive ones since they only deal with outside screening of the fetus. On... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 10). Should Parents Be Allowed to Screen Their Fetuses for Genetic Diseases or for Gender?. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Should-Parents-Be-Allowed-To-Screen-171153.html
"Should Parents Be Allowed to Screen Their Fetuses for Genetic Diseases or for Gender?" StudyMode.com. 10 2008. 2008. 10 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Should-Parents-Be-Allowed-To-Screen-171153.html>.
- MLA 7
"Should Parents Be Allowed to Screen Their Fetuses for Genetic Diseases or for Gender?." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 10 2008. Web. 10 2008. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Should-Parents-Be-Allowed-To-Screen-171153.html>.
"Should Parents Be Allowed to Screen Their Fetuses for Genetic Diseases or for Gender?." StudyMode.com. 10, 2008. Accessed 10, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Should-Parents-Be-Allowed-To-Screen-171153.html.