For the past two weeks we have been responding to collegiate essay topics in our writer’s notebook. It is now time to choose a college essay topic and develop it into a well-written essay to be submitted for a grade. You may only pick from the list of ten stated below and the length should be 3-4 pages. Be creative and impress me with your writing ability.
College Essay Topics to Choose From:
1. Write a short story using one of the following titles: a.) House of Cards, b.)ThePoor Sport, c.) Drama at the Prom, d.) Election Night, 2044, e.) The Getaway. (Tufts, 2009)
2. Do you believe there's a generation gap? Describe the differences between your generation and others. (Denison University)
3. Pick a story of local, national, or international importance from the front page of any newspaper. Identify your source and give the date the article appeared. Then use your sense of humor, sense of outrage, sense of justice—or just plain good sense—to explain why the story engages your attention. (University of Chicago)
4. Describe your most important academic accomplishment or intellectual experience to date. We don’t want to know about test scores or course grades, rather we want to know about your creativity, your willingness to take intellectual risks or your affinity for scholarly endeavors. (MIT)
5. Make a bold prediction about something in the year 2020 that no one else has made a bold prediction about. (University of Virginia, 1999)