The shopping tips below will surely benefit young boys and girls like us and their families.
1. List down meal ideas for the week. Organize your meal by checking against the Food Guide Pyramid developed by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute – Department of Science and Technology (FNRI – DOST). This will ensure that you have remembered everything from rice, bread, milk, and other dairy products to vegetables and fruits. This will also help ensure that you are buying a variety of food that will provide all your nutrient needs.
2. Choose nutritious, great tasting snack food such as low – fat nuts, popcorn, and fruits.
3. Buy fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season because these are cheaper. Look for foodstuffs that are on sale.
4. Read food labels. Compare nutrients and ingredients of similar foodstuffs. Determine which nutrients the food contributes to your total diet.
5. Fresh agricultural products (like green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, fruits) which give you vitamins and minerals do not last very long. Buy only what you can eat for a few days. Roots and tubers, such as kamote, potatoes, and gabi can be bought in bulk for your one – week supply. These are important sources of energy, fiber, and vitamins.
6. Buy meat, fish, and chicken, especially when they are on sale.
7. Include milk, cheese, yogurt and other dairy products, and small fish like dills in your diet to get your recommended intake of calcium.
8. Buy functional foods that give you health benefits beyond the traditional nutrients they contain. These foods help our body’s immune system. They may help prevent disease and aid in recovery from diseases. They may lower your cholesterol, regulate your body’s rhythm, and delay aging.
Fruits and vegetables are functional foods. Oatmeal which is rich in protein contains soluble dietary fiber. It reduces the risk of heart diseases and may help prevent colon cancer. Tomatoes give us... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 01). Shopping Tips. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shopping-Tips-1368758.html
"Shopping Tips" StudyMode.com. 01 2013. 01 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shopping-Tips-1368758.html>.
"Shopping Tips." StudyMode.com. 01, 2013. Accessed 01, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shopping-Tips-1368758.html.