(Summarizing and Note-taking)
Read the story on this website: http://www.sciencecases.org/shark/shark.asp
Answer the following questions:
1. Identify at least five organ systems in this region of the arm that the surgeon would have marked for reattachment.
Cardiovascular, Muscular, Skeletal, Nervous, and Integumentary
2. List the names of the specific structures that had to be reattached.
The axillary arteries had to be reattached. Bicep and tricep muscle tissues and the humorous bone also had to be reattached.
3. What organ system was most likely not reattached? Explain.
The nervous system, severed nerves cannot be reattached the same way; the severed nerves will not be useful again.
4. Why was a clean bite so important?
The bite did not tear much tissue, making reattaching the arm possible.
5. Why was the bone shortened?
In order to insert the plate, they needed to shorten the bone and even it out.
6. Identify the movements associated with the arm, forearm, wrist, and fingers.
Rotation and circumduction, extension, flexion, hyperextension, supination and proation.
7. Explain how the movements of the reattached arm might be altered after the reattachment.
The nervous system reattachment grew back together decently, but the nerves did not function the same way. The boy will not be able to regain full use of his arm.
8. Define collateral circulation and identify the regions of collateral circulation that would be found in the upper extremity.
Collateral Circulation: Small arteries open to connect to larger arteries to different parts of the same artery.
9. Identify the specific vessels that provide the collateral circulation to the elbow.
Brachial, then split at elbow to the radial and ulnar.
10. Identify specific types of activities that might cause Jim problems after... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 11). Shark Attack Marzano Activity. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shark-Attack-Marzano-Activity-1206323.html
"Shark Attack Marzano Activity" StudyMode.com. 11 2012. 2012. 11 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shark-Attack-Marzano-Activity-1206323.html>.
- MLA 7
"Shark Attack Marzano Activity." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 11 2012. Web. 11 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shark-Attack-Marzano-Activity-1206323.html>.
"Shark Attack Marzano Activity." StudyMode.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Shark-Attack-Marzano-Activity-1206323.html.