10th Grade Literature and Composition (Periods 1, 3, 4, 6 & 7)
Write the following assignment on loose leaf paper and then staple it to this sheet. This assignment needs to be completed by the end of the period.
Carefully read the “Summer Wind” essay by Verlyn Klinkenborg and then answer the following questions: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/18/opinion/18fri4.html?_r=1
1. Explain how the author describes the wind in three sentences? Provide one quote from the essay.
2. Copy down at least three descriptions that connect to at least three of the following senses: a. visual
3. Write down the author’s main point. Actually copy his main point from the essay so I can see that you see his thesis.
4. What are five words (diction) that you find interesting that the author uses to describe anything in the essay? Explain each word in a sentence that tells me why you think the word is interesting.
5. Why does the author compare the farm to a boat? Why do you like this or not. Explain in two sentences.
6. Explain why you would or would not like to be a part of the scene the author describes. Provide one quote/description that you like and explain why you like it. OR provide one quote/description you dislike, explain why you dislike it, and then rewrite it so that it is better in your opinion.
7. Then write a descriptive essay that models “Summer Wind” using ONE of the following two prompts. The essay should be at least ONE page long. The essay should include at least TWO descriptions for EACH of the following senses: a. Smell
REMEMBER: ONLY SELECT ONE OF THESE TWO TO CREATIVELY COMPLETE. Writing Prompt One:
Think of a force of nature that you have experienced. Write your own essay that completely describes the scene and how it affected you....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document