United States Army Reserve to be recognized with its own motto: Semper Promptus (Always at hand)!
Army Reserve Association
25 April 2009
SEMPER PROMPTUS POINT PAPER
For Chief, Army Reserve
Topic: Establishment of Semper Promptus (Always at hand) as the United States Army Reserve's official motto.
1. The purpose of this point paper is to present our rationale for this legislative initiative to the Chief, Army Reserve and to seek his approval and support of it in Congress. Our association's letter to LTG Jack Stultz, Chief, Army Reserve, dated 23 April 2009, containing our intended Joint Resolution language, is attached. It requests Congressional action that would formally establish Semper Promptus (Always at hand) as the United States Army Reserve's official motto. As a first step we asked they be placed into the Congressional Record.
2. Our Association's justification for the United States Army Reserve's motto: Semper Promptus (Always at hand) is simple but profound and begins with what is a motto? MOTTO - n. L. Muttum - A sentence, phrase, or word inscribed on something as appropriate to or indicative of its character or use. - A short expression of a guiding principle.
3. Throughout the annals of known military history all proven reserve forces must have met two essential requirements.
1) Always ready - Semper Paratus (L), and
2) Always at hand - Semper Promptus (L).
The first is already embodied in the motto "Semper Paratus" for the U.S. Coast Guard, a standing active force.
The second: "Semper Promptus", is not yet in use by any American military component, and the United States Army Reserve, the largest Federal Reserve force of the United States Army, deserves this as their motto!
4. While "Semper", the Latin word, can mean "Ever" as often associated with the U.S. Marine Corps motto, 'the also correct meaning' of "Always" is the best interpretation to use in the United States Army... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 07). Semper Promptus. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Semper-Promptus-1049604.html
"Semper Promptus" StudyMode.com. 07 2012. 07 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Semper-Promptus-1049604.html>.
"Semper Promptus." StudyMode.com. 07, 2012. Accessed 07, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Semper-Promptus-1049604.html.