We live in an age of constant scientific discovery — a world shaped by revolutionary new technologies. Just look at your favorite newspaper. The chances are pretty good that in the next few days you’ll see a headline about global warming, cloning, fossils in meteorites, or genetically engineered food. Other stories featuring exotic materials, medical advances, DNA evidence, and new drugs all deal with issues that directly affect your life. As a consumer, as a business professional, and as a citizen, you will have to form opinions about these and other science-based issues if you are to participate fully in modern society.
What is Scientific literacy?
• Scientific literacy encompasses written, numerical, and digital literacy as they pertain to understanding science, its methodology, observations, and theories
• "scientific literacy is the knowledge and understanding of scientific concepts and processes required for personal decision making, participation in civic and cultural affairs, and economic productivity“
– According to the United States National Center for Education Statistics,
• "the capacity to use scientific knowledge, to identify questions and to draw evidence-based conclusions in order to understand and help make decisions about the natural world and the changes made to it through human activity.“
– Programme for international students assessment
Who are scientifically literate persons?
• Know and understand the scientific concepts and processes required for participation in society
• Ask, find, or determine answers to questions derived from curiosity about their everyday experiences
• Describe, explain, and predict natural phenomena
• Read with understanding science articles in the popular press and engage in social conversation about the validity of the conclusions
• Identify scientific issues underlying national and local decisions
• Express positions that are scientifically and technologically informed
Cite This Essay
(2013, 03). Seminars, Trends and Issues on Phil Education. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Seminars-Trends-And-Issues-On-Phil-1548939.html
"Seminars, Trends and Issues on Phil Education" StudyMode.com. 03 2013. 2013. 03 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Seminars-Trends-And-Issues-On-Phil-1548939.html>.
- MLA 7
"Seminars, Trends and Issues on Phil Education." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2013. Web. 03 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Seminars-Trends-And-Issues-On-Phil-1548939.html>.
"Seminars, Trends and Issues on Phil Education." StudyMode.com. 03, 2013. Accessed 03, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Seminars-Trends-And-Issues-On-Phil-1548939.html.