1. “there can be no creation, for being cannot come from non-being, because a thing cannot arise from that which is different from it.”Eleatics school
2. Explain why for Zeno, plurality is impossible.
3. Is there a possibility of motion in the world of essence? why?
4. Why is nous inevitable in the dynamic system of the universe?
5. Differentiate love from strife; discuss their roles in the cosmological balance.
6. Ignis aurum probat, miseria fortes viros.
"Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men." Seneca
7. “For what prevents us from saying that the happy life is to have a mind that is free, lofty, fearless and steadfast - a mind that is placed beyond the reach of fear, beyond the reach of desire, that counts virtue the only good, baseness the only evil, and all else but a worthless mass of things, which come and go without increasing or diminishing the highest good, and neither subtract any part from the happy life nor add any part to it? A man thus grounded must, whether he wills or not, necessarily be attended by constant cheerfulness and a joy that is deep and issues from deep within, since he finds delight in his own resources, and desires no joys greater than his inner joys.”. Seneca
The concept of creation is an attribute only for God, its beyond human comprehension and explanation of science. I believe that there is one Supreme Being responsible in the creation of the universe, the existence of humans and everything that exist, immaterial or material. This belief of universal oneness or sameness of being by the eleatics is undeniably wrong; we can prove this by looking at these different creatures that exists. Are they the same?
Zeno believes that there could not be more than one thing, on pain of contradiction. Assume then that there are many things; he argues that they are both ‘limited’ and ‘unlimited’, a contradiction.
Zeno argues that it is impossible for a runner to traverse a race course. His reason...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document