This project entitled Secured Email Server and HTTP Keyserver Protocol (HKP) in PHP which has been specifically created will provide us with in depth input on the security in email communication using the cryptography method. In this project, the term ‘Secured Email Server’ refers to the implementation of cryptography method known as Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG) in the email server. The word ‘HKP’ refers to the key server that is used to centralize the GPG key uploaded by users.
This protocol is executed using Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP) Programming Language that has been installed in the webmail directory residing in the email server. Therefore, this is one other method that should be used in our internal and external network for the securing of email communication through the reduction of network vulnerability amount.
Through research, we have found that to implement this project, we have to maintain the role of computer security that may be related to our project implementation which is:
* Confidentiality: protection against data disclosure
* Integrity: protection against data modification
* Availability: protection against data disponibility * Identification &
Authentication (I&A): provide a way of identifying entities, and controlling this identity. * Non-repudiability: Bind an entity to its actions
We hope that this proposed role of computer security can be achieved with the encouragement and support from all quarters, especially who are directly and indirectly involved in this project.
a. To apply Network Security knowledge obtained since Semester 1. b. To provide a secure email server by including some ads on security features in the email server. c. To reinforce knowledge and enhance problem-solving skills. d. To achieve the basic features of secure Email:
* message confidentiality (only the dialogue parties are privy to the message), * message integrity (the message was not tampered with), and * authentication (the dialogue parties have verified identities and / or credentials). e. To identify another method available in cryptography and enhance our programming skills. f. To secure email communication in in network.
To implement the usage of GPG( Gnu Privacy Guard) in email enabled security system based on this 4 characteristics :- i. A secure e-mail solution should use server-based cryptography, not desktop-based cryptography. ii. A secure e-mail solution should be supported by a distributed, Internet-wide architecture to ensure discovery of valid public keys. iii. A secure e-mail solution should be transparent to end users. iv. A secure e-mail solution should allow end users to send securely to anyone on the Internet.
NO| ITEMS| SPECIFICATIONS|
1. | Email Server Computer| * Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300. * Motherboard : Asus P5KPL-AM. * RAM : Corsair PC667 D2 2GB. * Harddisk : Seagate 32M 320GB SATA. * Power Supply : RaidMax ATX 500W. * DVD ROM : Samsung DVD-RW SATA. * Casing : Cooler Master Elite Series. * Monitor : CRT 17’. * Microsoft USB Keyboard and Mouse.|
NO| ITEMS| SPECIFICATIONS|
2. | Firewall Computer| * Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300. * Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX. * RAM : Corsair PC667 D2 2GB. * Harddisk : Maxtor 32M 160GB SATA. * Power Supply : RaidMax ATX 500W. * DVD ROM : Samsung DVD-RW SATA. * Casing : Cooler Master Elite Series. * Monitor : CRT 17’. * Microsoft USB Keyboard and Mouse.| 3. | Other Supported Components| * UPS : Koss Ectron E-85 850VA UPS. * Switch : D-Link DES 100/80 10/100Mbps 8port Ethernet switch. * Network card : D-Link DFE -528TX 10/100Mbps PCI network card....