Scientific Principles- Since paper towels are used to pick up liquids, the volume of liquid it can hold is important. The amount of liquid a towel can absorb can be measured by the volume of liquid it picks up.
Aim- To investigate which kitchen paper is the best at absorbing most liquid.
Hypothesis- I think that Viva/Kleenex will be the best at absorbing most of the liquid because I think it’s the thickest paper towel and I think that it can hold a fair amount of liquid that it requires.
• Different types of paper towels- To test out which paper towel absorbs most liquids in the experiment. 1. Home Brand Coles
3. Handee Ultra
• Different types of liquids- To use to test the paper towels with. 1. Orange Sunkist
3. Schweppes Raspberry
• Stopwatch – To time the 30 seconds
• Tape measurer or ruler – To measure the amount of liquid that has been absorbed onto the kitchen paper. • Sticky Tape – To tape the paper towels to A4 Paper after they have been used in the experiment. • 3 cups – To pour the liquids into.
• A4 Paper - To put the kitchen paper towels onto.
• Pen - To label the 3 cm and to gather results.
• Camera – To take a photo of the paper towels.
Risk Assessment Table-
|Item |Risk |Justification | |A4 Paper |First Aid Needed (6) |Paper Cut | |Cup(s) |First Aid Needed (4) |Could cut yourself if some sharp edges | | | |appear or either if the cup smashes. |
1. Grab 3 cups that are the exact same length, width and is the exact same size. 2. Pour into the 1st cup the Coke, pour into the 2nd cup the Sunkist and lastly pour the Raspberry into the 3rd cup. 3. Cut 3 strips of each paper towel the exact length; 3 strips of the Home Brand, 3 strips of the Handee Ultra and 3 strips of the Viva/Kleenex. 4. Grab 3 A4 Paper’s and write on the top of the 1st paper; 1St Test. On the 2nd Paper; 2nd Test and on the 3rd Paper; 3rd Test. 5. Write each name of the brand on the top of the paper towel so you can know which paper towel it is. 6. Measure 3 cm on each of the 9 paper towels once it has been cut into strips and draw a line across so it marks 3 cm. 7. Set the timer so it can be put to 30 seconds.
8. Dip one of the paper towels into a liquid, perhaps we choose the raspberry & the viva. 9. Dip the viva paper towel into the raspberry cup and dip it all the way down until you reach the 3 cm line then you start the timer. 10. Click the timer and hold the paper towel inside the cup until the 30 seconds is finished. 11. Stop when the 30 seconds is up and take the paper towel out and put it onto something so all the droplets of the liquid doesn’t go onto the A4 Paper. 12. Hold the strip of the paper towel until it has finished dripping. 13. Place onto the A4 Paper when it finishes dripping.
14. Tape the paper towel onto the A4 Paper by using the sticky tape. 15. Measure how much liquid the paper towel absorbed by using a ruler. 16. Label that it was Viva and that it was Raspberry.
17. Record the result.
18. Repeat the same steps until all 9 paper towels have been absorbed.
| | | | |TEST 1- | | | | |...