Science investigatory project chapter 3

Topics: Mortar and pestle, Science, Test method Pages: 2 (494 words) Published: October 28, 2013
CHAPTER III
MATERIALS AND METHODS

This research study used the process of extraction to test the effectiveness of Acapulco (Cassia Alata) leaves in killing or eradicating the fungi Microsporum canis. The raw material that the researchers used in the experiment is the Acapulco with the scientific name Cassia Alata. It belongs to the family of Leguminosae. It is a shrub which is erected and grew for about 2 meters tall. The leaves of the plant posseses fungicidal, insecticidal and pesticidal properties.

EXTRACTION OF LEAVES

In getting the extract for this study, plants were first collected from rural areas from Red V and Ilayang Talim of Lucena City. The researchers pick those fresh leaves for they are more effective to used. Then the researchers decided to have a measure of 2 kilograms of the Acapulco leaves. The fresh leaves were washed with tap water and cleaned thoroughly with a clean cloth. The leaves were immediately pound by the use of a mortar and pestle. The material was filtered through a clean Muslim cloth and the leaf extract was stored in clean test tubes, with the same size and having the same amount of extract and stored in a refrigerator to preserved it’s freshness.

ANTI-FUNGAL BIOASSAY

There were four set- ups during the experiment. Each of those set up were labeled as set up A,B,C and D having the same amount of fungi each. Set up A was consist of 20 % of the acapulco leaves extract and 80% water. Set up B was consist of 50% of the acapulco leave extract and 50% of water. Set up C was consist of 80% of the Acapulco leaves extract. Set up D which was the control set up having the commercially used product which is the canesten. Each of these set up was observed properly and then the researchers measured the length of time it took for the fungio be destroyed due to the acapulco leaves extract. The mortality rate of each fungi in each set up were observed.

LABORATORY TEST

The researchers need sample of the fungi...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • investigatory project Essay
  • Science Investigatory Project Essay
  • SCIENCE INVESTIGATORY PROJECT Essay
  • 7th Grade
  • Science Investigatory Project Essay
  • Science Investigatory Project Essay
  • SCIENCE INVESTIGATORY PROJECT 1 Essay
  • Science Investigatory Project Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free