Recognizing the changing context of the scientific enterprise, and to meet present national needs in the new era of globalisation, Government enunciates the following objectives of its Science and Technology Policy:
• To ensure that the message of science reaches every citizen of India, man and woman, young and old, so that we advance scientific temper, emerge as a progressive and enlightened society, and make it possible for all our people to participate fully in the development of science and technology and its application for human welfare. Indeed, science and technology will be fully integrated with all spheres of national activity.
• To ensure food, agricultural, nutritional, environmental, water, health and energy security of the people on a sustainable basis.
• To mount a direct and sustained effort on the alleviation of poverty, enhancing livelihood security, removal of hunger and malnutrition, reduction of drudgery and regional imbalances, both rural and urban, and generation of employment, by using scientific and technological capabilities along with our traditional knowledge pool. This will call for the generation and screening of all relevant technologies, their widespread dissemination through networking and support for the vast unorganized sector of our economy.
• To vigorously foster scientific research in universities and other academic, scientific and engineering institutions; and attract the brightest young persons to careers in science and technology, by conveying a sense of excitement concerning the advancing frontiers, and by creating suitable employment opportunities for them. Also to build and maintain centres of excellence, which will raise the level of work in selected areas to the highest international standards.
• To promote the empowerment of women in all science and technology activities and ensure their full and equal participation.
• To provide... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 12). Science and Technology Policies. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Science-And-Technology-Policies-530880.html
"Science and Technology Policies" StudyMode.com. 12 2010. 12 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Science-And-Technology-Policies-530880.html>.
"Science and Technology Policies." StudyMode.com. 12, 2010. Accessed 12, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Science-And-Technology-Policies-530880.html.