1. What is nutrition? Why is nutrition essential to our daily lives?| Nutrition is defined “as the science that links foods to health and disease. “ Nutrition is also called nourishment that provides food for support of life. Nutrition involves the process of humans ingesting, digesting, absorbing, and excreting food substances.Food provides energy in the form of calories needed to maintain all body cells. Nutrients are the substances obtained from food that are an important factor to promote growth & maintain a healthy body through an individuals’ life.|
2. What is the connection between nutrition and health?| Nutrition is an important lifestyle factor that promotes growth and maintains a healthy body throughout an individual’s life. If an individual lives a sedentary life style and maintains a poor diet he/she will become at risk for developing life threatening diseases varying in different conditions from chronic and acute. Examples of such diseases included but not limited to be heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cancer. Life threatening diseases mentioned above and other disorders will & may contribute too many deaths Risk factors such as hereditary, life style choices or poor nutritional habits also contribute to life threatening diseases.|
3. What are the six classes of nutrients? What are essential nutrients? What are the sources of nutrients? What do nutrients do?| The six classes of nutrients include: Carbohydrate—composed of hydrogen, carbon, & oxygen provide a major source of calories for the bodyLipids (fats & oils)—made up of carbon & hydrogen- used for main energy storage in the bodyProteins- made up of oxygen, hydrogen & carbon-nitrogen- makes up structure of body- muscles, bones, cells, blood, body cells, enzymes, and immune factors.Vitamins—can be made up of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus- allow for chemical reactions in bodyMinerals—functioning play an important role in the nervous system, water balance, structural systems, and many other cellular processes, but yield no calories as such for the body.Water – transports nutrients and waste-regulates temperature, acts as a lubricant and solvent for the bodyThe sources of nutrients include plants sources from fruits & vegetables, Nutrients can provide individuals with calories to meet energy needs; are very essential for growth, development, maintenance, & to assist in maintaining healthily body functions.|
4. How do vitamins and minerals work?|
Vitamins allow for & enable many chemical reactions to occur in the body. Some of these reactions help release the energy trapped in carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins. While the consumption of vitamins is beneficial to our bodies, over consumption of vitamins is dangerous and can be fatal.Minerals—functioning play an important role in the nervous system, water balance, structural systems, and many other cellular processes, but yield no calories as such for the body|
5. What does it mean to eat a balanced diet? Why is food choice important for good nutrition?| To consume the daily required amounts of nutrients from the six major food groups on a daily basis- see below:Vegetables, Fruits, Milk, Meat, Beans, and OilsFood provides energy in the form of calories needed to maintain all body cells Food provides energy in the form of calories needed to maintain all body cells.A balance diet mean eating different types foods and a variety of food groups. This means eating the proper portion size. When eating a balance diet the individual must eat the right amount nutritious..|
6. What is undernutrition? What is overnutrition?|
Undernutrition occurs when nutrient intake does not meet nutrient needs. For example if an individual’s iron level becomes low symptoms indicating low levels may not be noticed immediately- Follow up lab work with a physician would...