Most Republicans and the more moderate Democrats are in favor of uniforms while the more liberal Democrats oppose them. People in favor of uniforms support them for several reasons cited in a US Government manual on school uniforms:
• decrease in violence and theft—even life threatening situations—among students over designer clothing or expensive sneakers;
• prevention of gang members wearing gang colors and insignias at school;
• instilling students with discipline;
• helping parents and students resist peer pressure to buy expensive clothing;
• helping students concentrate on their school work; and helping school officials to recognize intruders who come to the school. (“Manual” par. 2)
People against uniforms oppose them for several reasons: uniforms violate the first amendment right to freedom of expression; the claims of the supporters are not true, and problems in the schools are much bigger than a little answer like uniforms. Uniforms will just make things worse. Most of the arguments used on both sides are logos, but the anti-uniform side has some key ethos appeals. Uniforms definitely have some good qualities, but they are not the answer to all the problems in... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 06). School Uniforms. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/School-Uniforms-152552.html
"School Uniforms" StudyMode.com. 06 2008. 06 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/School-Uniforms-152552.html>.
"School Uniforms." StudyMode.com. 06, 2008. Accessed 06, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/School-Uniforms-152552.html.