A reason for the Armada
* To understand one reason why the Spanish Armada was sent to attack England, we need to know something about Sir Francis Drake.
* Sir Francis Drake was born in 1540 in Devon, England. He became a great sailor and was the first Englishman to sail around the world.
* Elizabeth 1.
Sir Francis Drake.
The Spanish had conquered much of central and South America by 1550.
* Their ships carried back large amounts of gold and silver to Spain.
* Drake’s ships, during his voyage, used to attack these treasure ships and steal their goods.
* He brought the treasure back to Queen Elizabeth 1, and for that, when he returned home in 1580 he was knighted.
* To the English Drake was a hero, but to the Spanish he was a pirate, who in their eyes was allowed to do as he wished, with the full knowledge of Queen Elizabeth. This was just not acceptable.
Other reasons for the Armada
* Philip of Spain was in control of the Netherlands (modern day Holland and Belgium) and he wanted access through the English channel to this country.
* He also believed that it was his duty to bring protestant England back to the Catholic faith.
* The pope also backed his invasion of England.
* Philip of Spain.
He wanted to make his daughter Isabella, Queen of England.
* Philip II of Spain was angry that Queen Elizabeth had not punished Sir Francis Drake for attacking Spanish ships and got together a huge fleet of ships and sent it to fight against the English.
* A huge fleet or armada of 130 ships was to sail up the English Channel to the Netherlands. It would be joined coast. Where they would land and invade England returning it to the Catholic religion.
Countdown to Invasion
21st July 1588
* The Spanish Armada sets sail for England.
* 2 July 1588 the Spanish Armada sets sail from Cadiz, a harbour on the south coast of Spain. The ships sail in a crescent shape, so... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). School. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/School-428261.html
"School" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/School-428261.html>.
"School." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/School-428261.html.