University of Phoenix Material
Center for Writing Excellence Scavenger Hunt
For each of the questions below you should look at both the Center for Writing Excellence and the University of Phoenix Writing and Style Guidelines.
Submit your responses to the following questions: (HINT: Refer to the Reference and Citation Examples documdented in the Tutorials and Guides section, as well as the Sample Paper and the Library link.)
1. If more than one author is listed, must all authors be listed in the citation?
1. Is the author’s full name used in the References page entry?
2. If no year is listed for an in-text citation, what should be listed?
3. What is the minimum information needed for an in-text citation?
Last name and year
4. What abbreviations are used before page (if listed) in an in-text citation?
p. or pp.
5. What is used for the author’s name in the in-text citation if the article’s author is not listed as “anonymous” or at all?
Name the group authors
6. On the References page, what words of an article or book title are capitalized?
First word, proper nouns, and the first word after colon or dash
7. What U.S. cities do not require a state when listed on the References page? Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco
8. Are quotation marks used for titles of articles in the sources listed on the References page?
9. How is the state abbreviated for the publisher’s location on the References page?
The First and Last letter of the state and capitalized
10. Are any sources listed in the References page italicized instead of underlined?
11. If the full title of your essay is “The Paragraph and You: A Study of Organization,” in how many places of the document would the full title be listed?
All pages since under 50 characters
12. How far from the top of the page is the header?
13. What is the suggested length of an abstract?
14. What point size is preferred for the font at the University of Phoenix?
15. What is the preferred spacing in a document?
16. Are there any extra spaces between paragraphs of a paper?
17. How are personal interviews or e-mails listed when cited in a paper?
18. Should the Web address for retrieving an article in an electronic database be listed in the reference? Yes
2. How do you get to the Center for Writing Excellence?
Log in ( click library ( click on Center for Writing Excellence
19. Here’s something fun—go to the list of common English errors and indicate what the difference is between “flaunt” and “flout.”
Flaunt is to show off as to flout which is to treat with contempt by some rule or standard.
20. Check out the section that provides tips on Microsoft® software and indicate how you insert headers and footers in a Word® document.
Click on insert ( click on the header icon ( Choose header style ( type in the header Click on insert ( click on the footer icon ( Choose footer style ( type in the footer
21. How do you add a button to your Microsoft® Office® Toolbar? On mine this is how: [pic]
|Category |Button |Description | |Edit |Replace |Allows you to find and replace one bit of text with another. For instance, if | | | |you spelled someone’s name “Charla” throughout your paper and then found out it| | | |was really supposed to be “Sharla,” you could enter these values and the | | | |replace tool would change them all for you. | |View |Ruler |Turns...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document