1. Underline the digit in the place you are rounding off to.
2. a. If the digit to the right of the underlined digit is 5 or more, add 1 to the underlined digit. b. If the digit to the right of the underlined digit is less than 5, leave it as it is.
3. Put zeros in the places to the right of the underlined digit.
STEPS FOR DIVISION
1. Estimate (or divide)
4. Bring down one number
Repeat this process. When you reach the end if you have a number left, it's the remainder.
Sum--the answer to an addition problem
Difference--the answer to a subtraction problem
Product--the answer to a multiplication problem
Quotient--the answer to a division problem
To find the average of a group of numbers, add the numbers and then divide by how many numbers there are.
WHOLE NUMBER WORD PROBLEMS
Step 1. Find the question--what is being asked for?
Step 2. Decide what information you need to answer the question. Be careful. Some problems may contain information you won't need to solve the problem.
Step 3. Decide what arithmetic operation to use (addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division). This requires a careful rereading of the problem in order to understand the situation. Some people draw diagrams or write down the information to help them see what to do.
Step 4. Do the arithmetic accurately and carefully. Check your math.
Step 5. Make sure that your answer is sensible.
FOR ANY WORD PROBLEM:
1. Read the problem carefully to get a sense of the situation.
2. Be sure you know what is being asked for.
3. Watch for any helpful words that tell you what operations to use, but be careful; some words are used misleadingly.
Add the number to the last answer to...