Title: Natural Remedies for Colds
Specific Speech Purpose: To inform my audience of the different ways to treat colds using natural remedies. Statement: People should learn the alternative ways in treating common ailments such as colds since medicine, nowadays, are bought at a high price.
I.Attention Step: It was a lovely day at school. I was walking to the canteen with my classmates when suddenly, I sneezed, and guess what happened? I swiftly covered my face with one hand, and as I quickly ran to the comfort room, I could feel the warm, sticky liquid rolling down my poor nose. I felt curious stares from the people I passed by. Some were even whispering and laughing. Yes. It was really a lovely day. II.Clarification Step: Have you ever experienced this before? Well, I am really sure that I am not the only one who had suffered with colds. But, have you ever tried treating your colds using ways that do not require a large sum of money? I guess it is now time for you to learn the alternative remedies for colds.
I. Water, one of man's basic necessities, plays an important role in treating colds.
A. Drink plenty of fluids daily.
1. Dehydration can be prevented by drinking water, milk, sports drinks, herbal teas, or fruit juices.
2. Avoid drinks with caffeine since they may cause dehydration. 3. Hot liquids help in relieving nasal congestion.
B. Gargle with warm water mixed with a dissolved half teaspoon of salt.
1. Salt is an astringent and can gradually ease the soreness of the throat.
2. Temporary relief can be offered by gargling.
C. Have a healthy chicken soup.
1. Chicken soup contains substances that can help curtail upper respiratory infections.
2. Easily absorbed nutrients are provided by the soup.